Virginia Oldoini, Countess of Castiglione (1837 – 1899), was a beautiful 19th-century Italian aristocrat.
1. Upon moving to Paris in 1855, she achieved notoriety…
The Opera Ball
2. …as a mistress of Emperor Napoleon III of France.
The Opera Ball
3. She was known for her great beauty…
La Marquise Mathilde
5. …and eccentricity.
6. The countess spent her fortune on elaborate dresses…
7. …and costumes.
The Queen of Hearts
8. Often making flamboyant entrances into society parties.
9. Which shocked Parisian high society.
10. But it was in the world of photography…
11. …where the countess left her real legacy.
15. …of imperial court photographer Pierre-Louis Pierson.
16. Unlike most models, though…
17. …The countess dictated all aspects of her photos….
18. …creating the scenarios…
Elvira at the Cheval Glass
20. The countess spent a large part of her personal fortune on the photos.
La Comtesse in Chinese Robe
21. Even going into debt to execute her project.
22. Over her 40-year collaboration with Pierson…
23. ….the countess appeared in more than 700 photographs.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›