Lil B is the brunt of a lot of jokes. He has to continually field questions like this one from a radio interview with DJ A-OH.
DJ A-OH: Do you take rap seriously? Or is this like a big joke to you and you’re a big court jester of this industry?
Lil B: If you had truly crap music, you won’t go anywhere. Like, I go over 70, 80 million views on YouTube alone – and that’s just for the songs. The people speak; I didn’t put myself in this position, it was you beautiful people.
Lil B may be weird or unconventional, but the truth is he’s opened doors for so many rappers and artists who are now championing being different. (See: Future.) But even if you can’t get into his music, you can still be inspired by his daily affirmations, and find joy in his wisdom. Here’s why Lil B is about to become your life coach.
3. TIME Magazine recently ranked him among their “140 Best Twitter Feeds of 2013.”
4. It’s not hard to see why – his tweets act as daily affirmations, and his feed is full of the best self-help advice you never knew you needed.
5. He readily gives out his love to his fans (and their families) in completely earnest ways.
8. He wants guys to respect the ladies.
10. He wants you to do well in school.
11. These reminders often come right when you need them the most.
12. He wants you to know you have so much left to live for.
14. His songs tell us that we’re all in this thing called life together.
“We Are The World”
“I did this song because it’s real
And I love y’all
We all gotta get together because it’s our family
It’s all of us man, the whole world (you feel me)
The whole world
I’m alive and I love it, and I’m happy you’re alive.”
“Yeah, I’d love to see you smile in the path of yesterday so it’s easy for today
And even though it seems hard
We’re one big family and it’s all our jobs
To help one another, to love one another
Man, god bless our mothers, and God bless our fathers
And even though it seems crazy
And you’re thinking you’re lazy
Just know I’m here and we’re living positive.”
17. He wants you to get off the computer, to consider the effects of what we consume.
“The Age of Information”
“My desktop is made to sedate me
On my laptop for hours like I’m in college, B
Honestly asking Google about things that I should learn about.”
“I’m askin’ the older people how you make it to your status
They laugh, because they see reflection while I’m askin’ questions
And the best gift is to listen
Learn math to count your blessings.”
19. His songs bring tears to people’s eyes and touches their hearts.
20. He’s an ally of the gay community.
While GLAAD responded with some skepticism to Lil B’s decision to title his mixtape “I’m Gay,” saying that they hoped he was being sincere and that the title wasn’t just a gimmick, Lil B insists he’s an ally.
Lil B responded to GLAAD in an interview with MTV, saying, “I got major love for the gay and lesbian community and I just want to push less separation and that’s why I’m doing it. I hope GLAAD sees that I’m taking initial steps to break barriers.”
22. He makes songs with Keke, the tabby cat he adopted from the ASPCA.
PRODUCED BY LIL B! THIS IS AMAZIING!!! HOW WAS THIS DONE? KEKE THE ADOPTED TABBY CAT, SOME CALL HER KEKE THE BASED CAT HAS MADE HISTORY! WITH HER PROUD FRIEND LIL B, THEY BOTH ARE EXTREMLY HAPPY TO SPREAD LOVE WITH HUMANS AND ANIMALS TOGETHER, KEKE HAS WAITED A LONG TIME AND SAID THERE IS MORE COMING SOON MABY, LETS TAKE OUR TIME, TODAY ITS THANK YOU BASEDGOD FIRST, THEN THANK YOU LIL B… NOW THANK YOU KEKE - Lil B
28. He inspires people to follow their dreams. Leading by example, B tried out for the Santa Cruz Warriors D-league basketball team at an open tryout last fall.
“Just putting my skills to the test, supporting Bay Area teams, and spreading that love,” he told a reporter.
30. He cries for us. For love. For the world.
B walks through a pet store in his hometown in the video for “I Love You,” released in January. The song is thoughtful on its own; he plays with different animals, wraps a giant snake around his shoulders, raps about love, friendship, and the fleeting nature of life. But the real magic is watching him break down afterward. He cries streaming tears of joy, the kind that you cry when you have a “meaning of life” moment, overwhelmed by humanity (“The world’s so big.”).
“I got a lot of love to spread,” Lil B tells the camera. “I just want the world to hear it. I’m crying for everybody, man, and for real love. That’s where the music comes from. 100% love.”
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.
- A pilot has broken the world records for longest solo flight and longest non-stop flight ever taken in a solar-powered airplane ?