1. This email was sent out last Thursday from the Mellow Pages Library to its members:
2. Around 40 people showed up around dusk to hang out inside the small 200-square-foot library (located inside an industrial building) and in the hallway, sipping beers while they crossed their fingers hoping Kanye would arrive.
The library apparently got a call from a producer for the video, who said that Kanye’s team was interested in filming in the space, and asked the library to invite people to the shoot.
5. Some said that it was possible that while everyone thought they were waiting for filming to start, the shoot was actually already in progress.
The library had been told that the video has to do with social media, and much of it may be shot through iPhones, so Kanye may have had members of his team blending in and gathering footage.
6. The crowd had gathered for almost two hours before Jacob Perkins, one of the library co-founders, said that they’d gotten a call from the producer who said they wanted people to take videos and upload them to Twitter using the hashtag “#MellowYeezus.”
They were told that Kanye’s team would be using some of this footage from social media in his video.
7. The Mellow Pages co-founder said the producer who had called them was Susie Arons, who, interestingly enough, was Kanye’s former media trainer who quit after just a week on the job, during his Today show debacle three years ago.
8. Here are some of the photos that have shown up with the #MellowYeezus tag so far:
12. It was really hot and cramped in the small library.
13. While passing the time, friends of the library browsed their collection…
14. …and speculated about what the video was all about.
15. It was unclear what people were supposed to really be filming (and most people were taking photos, anyway). Pictures of themselves? Pictures of the books?
16. Some people were mad that Kanye didn’t show up.
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›