1. Break in your flats in under five minutes.
Step 1: Put on thick socks, and then your flats.
Step 2: Blow-dry your shoes around the tight sections for a few minutes.
Step 3: Keep your socks/flats on while it cools.
Step 4: Test them out; repeat process if you need them more stretched out.
2. Put clear nail polish on the inside of your rings.
Your fingers will be free from green stains.
3. Use a pumice stone to de-fuzz a sweater.
You might want to use a lint roller as well to make your sweaters neat and clean.
5. Wear loose ponytails to avoid bald spots.
When you tie your hair too tight (and often), it strains the follicles and prevents hair growth. Try not to frequently tie your ponytail in the same spot.
6. White wine neutralizes red wine stains.
Yeah, you read that correctly. When you’re at a party and you accidentally spill some red wine on your blouse, immediately pour white wine over the stain and let it air-dry. The white neutralizes the red, making it easier to take out the stain.
7. Store your makeup on a magnet board.
This is a good way to keep track of your makeup and stay organized. Instructions here.
8. Neatly tuck your non-skinny jeans in boots.
Just fold the bottom of your jeans and wrap it over to easily fit in socks.
9. Remove deodorant stains with dryer sheets.
Rub the marks in a circular motion and the sheets will absorb the deodorant. Make sure there’s no excess lint from the dryer sheet or you’ll end up with gray marks. Pantyhose also works!
10. Paint your keys with nail polish to easily distinguish the sets.
It especially helps when you lend a spare key to a houseguest.
11. Chill your white wine with frozen grapes.
This prevents the flavor from being watered down!
12. When you pack a suitcase, wrap your shoes in a shower cap.
This will prevent the soles from touching your clean clothes.
13. Add a magnetic strip in your bathroom cabinet to support bobby pins and tweezers.
14. Turn around your hangers to clean out your closet.
We all buy clothes we don’t wear, and it takes up unnecessary closet space. Place your hangers the opposite way, and after you use an article of clothing, hang it up regularly. By the end of the year (or season), donate the clothes that are still hanging backward.
15. Put your necklace through a straw to keep the chain from tangling.
It may look silly, but it will save you time and frustration.
16. Use a caddy to store your hair appliances.
You can buy some here. You can also use PVC pipes!
17. Mount cutlery trays to store your jewelry.
18. Put pool noodles in your boots to keep them upright.
Newspapers and magazines work as well.
19. Use rice and a sock to make a DIY hot pack.
Perfect for aches and pains. Instructions here.
20. Tie your scarves and stockings to hangers for easy storage.
21. Use two fingers to test out your bra fit.
If you can’t comfortably fit two fingers under the band of your bra, it is too tight. If you can fit your entire fist under the band, it’s too loose.
22. Put baking soda in your flats to avoid smelly shoes.
When you put shoes on without socks, your feet sweat and start to smell. If you put baking soda in your flats, it will kill the bacteria and get rid of that gross smell.
23. Glue old wine corks to a picture frame to make your own DIY corkboard.
25. Use clothing hangers to organize your boots.
Just make sure they have sliding clips.
26. Run your mascara wand under hot water for easier application.
Also, do NOT pump your mascara wand in and out of the tube — that causes it to clump. Twirl the wand inside the bottle before applying another coat.
- The Dutch Safety Board has released a final report of its investigation into why Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 broke up over Ukraine in 2014. ›
- Iran's parliament approved a deal on its nuclear program, which was agreed in July following lengthy talks between six world powers. ›
- SAB Miller has accepted "in principle" a takeover offer from Anheuser-Busch InBev, which would create the world's largest beer company. ›