1. These are Cronuts, and they are perfect in every way.
2. Cronut = the shape, fried-ness, and creamy interior of a doughnut + the flaky, delicate pastry layers of a croissant.
3. The Cronut’s creator is the French pastry chef Dominique Ansel, of Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York.
Ansel is a 2013 James Beard Award finalist for Outstanding Pastry Chef. And if there is any justice in the world, he should receive a Lifetime Achievement award for blessing this nation with the Cronut.
4. Dominique Ansel tried about ten different recipes over two months before perfecting the Cronut.
5. They are made with a special laminated Cronut dough, similar to croissant dough, but with a few key differences.
It gets sheeted (rolled out) to a different thickness and assembled with a different set of folds.
6. Once they’re shaped, the Cronuts get deep-fried in hot grapeseed oil…
10. This is what it looks like on the inside.
Make sure to cut it with a serrated knife so you don’t crush the beautiful layers.