1. Oh, what’s that? A bunch of actresses swanning about in gowns on a red carpet?
The odds of actresses wearing anything interesting on a red carpet are generally pretty slim. But let’s just humor ourselves and zoom in on this trinity of Les Mis-ies.
2. Why, there’s something ragingly weird about all of these dresses!
Let’s examine each one individually.
3. First: Anne Hathaway.
Weird outfit elements: The batwing sleeves; the dotted lines running up and down the dress, making her look like a kid’s crafting project.
4. The dress is from Givenchy’s spring 2012 couture collection.
And as you can see, Anne could have gotten MUCH weirder with it. I can’t fathom why she didn’t want the bejeweled pacifier. When batwing sleeves fail, that kind of thing really gets people talking!
5. Next: Amanda Seyfried.
Weird outfit elements: Large, floppy asymmetrical ruffles that fight for attention with her plunging neckline and cleavage; overall feeling of a Hostess cupcake homage.
6. Balenciaga put this dress on the runway for the spring 2013 show.
And did not pair it with platform pumps, which feel incredibly tired and dated-looking.
7. And finally: Samantha Barks.
Weird Outfit Elements: The mesh-filled cutouts that are awkwardly curved and extended at the sides all the way up to her armpits. On the other hand, this shows off a green juice–honed six pack without revealing an unsightly belly button, should she have one.
Her dress is by Stella McCartney and doesn’t appear to be a runway look (if I’m wrong, post the photo in comments!).
But anyway, as you can see, these three actresses fought a pretty major battle for red-carpet fashion cred and overall attention.
8. So, who looked the weirdest/like they tried the hardest?
I’m going with Anne, but feel free to dispute me in the comments!
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›