1. According to a new survey, women and men are overwhelmingly not into the waif-y runway model look.
The findings, from the survey of 2,000 people conducted by the Gym Group:
First, the Men:
• 33% of men say defined abs are “the most attractive attribute in a woman.”
• 25% of men are into a “voluptuous bottom.”
• And 11% of men say the most attractive thing about a woman is “firm thighs.”
And the Women:
• 51% of women questioned said they want athletic bodies.
• 10% of women want waif-ish frames and “chiseled cheekbones.”
Let’s bear in mind the survey was conducted by “the Gym Group,” which is a chain of gyms, so they’re obviously using this survey as an advertisement for their services. But it’s still a jumping-off point for an interesting question:
Let’s say it’s true (and it could be!) that women don’t want to be runway-skinny and that men aren’t most attracted to women who are runway-skinny. So then if women don’t want to look like waifs, and if men aren’t attracted to waifs, why are runway models — and Victoria’s Secret fashion show models, I don’t care how “curvy” I’m supposed to think they are — all waifs?
Please share your contemplations in comments.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Shannon Miles, who is suspected of ambushing and killing a Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy, was arrested Saturday and charged with capital murder. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›