1. Outrage emerged in France over the weekend when shoppers discovered jewelry labeled “style esclave” (which translates to “slave style”) on Mango’s website.
A petition posted to Change.org demanded that Mango remove the jewelry line and issue a public apology. As of Monday morning the petition had accrued 5,100 signatures and counting.
3. Mango apologized on Twitter.
@deejaydie94Nous regrettons l’erreur de traduction. Les services correspondants sont prÃ©venus et effectueront la correction immÃ©diatement.— MANGO
The tweet says that Mango regrets the “translation error” and that a correction to the online copy will be made immediately. The word “esclava” in Spanish can translate to “bracelet” or “chain,” in addition to “slave.” Mango is a Spanish retailer.
5. The word “slave” did not appear on the U.S. site as of Monday morning.
6. It’s also been removed from the French site.
7. But #BoycottonsMango (translation: boycott Mango) is still trending on Twitter.
A mon epoque Twitter se mobilisait vite contre ces conneries alors #BoycottonsMango car on rit pas avec l’esclavage http://t.co/HUHFkUApCv— Boy From Paris
#BoycottonsMango pour manque de respect envers nos martyrs! @LaTeamAfrique— LA Mona’ BÃ©a
#Mango parle d’erreur de traduction. Ici la preuve que c’faux. Et le seum des internautes avec le HT #BoycottonsMango http://t.co/NHYFILlL3w— #TeamAfrique Â©
Boycott Mango … http://t.co/tabIIekxk5 …. #FuckRacism #BoycottMango— Mike
The outrage hasn’t picked up too much in the states yet, though it’s only Monday so that could change.
When we’re ready, can we discuss the fact that Mango has released a range of necklaces called “slave style”? Thanks. http://t.co/Vp5olLtPYG— Gugu Carter-Knowles
Own up to marketing fail, Mango: Retailer says “slave fashion” was translation error http://t.co/7gQ25egysG via @AJEnglish— Katya Yefimova
Retailer @Mango is facing criticism for “slave style” necklaces: http://t.co/AKK1ZvF9fq Petition: http://t.co/0F76J441Gy #BijouxStyleEsclave— Change.org
- U.S. presidential candidates are making their final pitches before the New Hampshire Primary, the second voting contest of the nominating season 🇺🇸
- The Pentagon has confirmed that North Korea successfully launched a satellite into orbit on Sunday night.
- President Obama asked Congress for $1.8 billion to fight the spread of the Zika virus across the Americas.