1. After the Victoria’s Secret’s fashion show casting director said she “would never use” Kate Upton in the show, here she is on the back cover of a new Victoria’s Secret catalog.
That casting director, Sophia Neophitou, called Upton’s look “too obvious,” whatever that means. Well, maybe her recent Vogue cover has caused the VS casting lords to rethink their model lineup because here’s Upton in all her obviousness not just in the catalog but on the back cover no less. Who’s Captain Obvious now, eh, VS?
2. Despite that slam, Upton has previously appeared in the catalog. Here she is modeling PJs in 2011.
Casting for the catalog and fashion show are seen as two very different things to the fashion community. There’s a lot of cross-over but it’s not a fully symbiotic relationship.
3. When these photos were taken she had to be around 18 or 19.
This was before she became a big deal via Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit issue, her first cover for which dropped in 2012.
4. The VS fashion show casting director can talk as much smack as she wants, but Upton clearly had the “just casually regarding the hem of this animal print” pose down pat.
5. To say nothing of her, “Can you see my belly button now?” pose.
Does she look a little like Taylor Swift in the face to anyone else here?
6. Like any good multi-faceted model, she also gave her all to some bras in those early years. Yellow bras:
10. And she wouldn’t be a proper lingerie model without mastering the, “I’m cold, can I have my shirt back now?” glare.
- The U.S. is investigating how a cargo ship with 33 people on board sank during Hurricane Joaquin. The ship went missing in the Caribbean last week. ›
- Texas carried out its 11th execution of the year on Tuesday — the most of any state — putting to death an inmate who murdered a man over $8. ›
- New York's attorney general is looking into whether employees at fantasy sports sites might have won bets based on information not available to the public, the New York Times reports. ›