Look, I’m not saying ombré can’t be lovely — exceedingly lovely, even. Just look at this ombré aisle runner!
If this wonderful flower petal arrangement doesn’t say “dream wedding,” well, then, Kim Kardashian’s baby doesn’t have a really stupid name.
And the ombré hair trend is still going strong, with some truly nice results.
But there’s a dark side. Because sometimes — a lot of the time — ombré goes horribly, horribly wrong.
2. Or when ombré infected this hairy coat.
Which would make you look like a soot-covered overgrown sheep.
3. Or when it seeped into this sleeveless denim “top” thing (whatever it is).
4. In fact, ombré has spread from the eerily enthusiastic realm of Pinterest to the world all around us. Even this rock isn’t safe.
5. Nor was this fringed vest.
Which had enough going on, TBH, before someone wrestled it into a bucket of blue dye.
6. But one of the most common victims of bad ombré — the kind of ombré that makes things look diseased — are studded jean shorts.
8. They’re hardly the only bottoms succumbing to the trend. So have these tights.
9. And these gray and Gatorade-colored leggings.
10. Baked goods are in even greater danger of suffering an ombré affliction.
No wedding cake is safe.
11. No cake maker can resist dyeing their cakes in a gradient-like fashion these days.
12. But dyeing cake is like dyeing chicken — just unnecessary!
13. As was adding ombré to the long fringe on this bustier.
14. Even adorable kittens on T-shirts can’t escape ombré.
Ombré transforms any ironic tee into a confusing, psychedelic affront to cotton.
15. The cold, hard truth is: some things just weren’t meant for ombré. Like acid wash.
17. And we haven’t even gotten into leopard ombré eyeshadow yet.
21. And this ombré suit? It’s probably not going to get you that job.
Unless your prospective employer isn’t turned off by people who look like they soaked in pee.