1. Wearing spring 2013 Christian Dior Haute Couture, Nicole Kidman ruled the carpet.
At this year’s festival, Kidman is a member of the feature film jury.
2. Close-up of Kidman’s mohawk-esque ponytail, because it deserves one.
3. And a close-up of the stunning Dior embroidery, because it also deserves one.
4. And some duckface.
5. The ever-ethereal Carey Mulligan, also in Christian Dior Haute Couture, posed with Gatsby director Baz Luhrmann.
6. Flawless, if a little damp.
(It was raining in Cannes last night.)
7. And more Dior Couture still: Zhany Ziyi wore a look from the label’s fall 2012 collection.
8. Zhang’s choppy pixie cut is just perfection.
9. Freida Pinto in bright pink Gucci and some wonderful pearl-embellished heels.
10. Pretty sure Freida is cursing out the weather here.
11. Florence Welch in prim polka-dotted Miu Miu.
12. And here’s Florence inadvertently photobombing Gatsby himself.
Leo’s looking dapper.
13. For some reason there are no good photos of Tobey Maguire on the red carpet, so here’s one of him from the screening that followed.
Cannes photographers are a crazy bunch — no good photos of Mr. Maguire, for some reason, but more photos of David Hasselhoff than even the hardiest Hoff fan could require. (Don’t worry, those photos are coming up.)
14. Wearing Roberto Cavalli, Cindy Crawford led the requisite gaggle of models on the red carpet.
Sadly, we were denied a carpet cameo from Roberto himself.
15. Lana Del Rey wore a gown by Austrian designer Lena Hoschek.
It looks a little bit like the fabric you find on silky cushions strewn around the lobby of a boutique hotel.
16. Anyway, let’s just take this moment to go listen to Lana’s lovely song from the Gatsby soundtrack: “Young and Beautiful.”
17. Solange Knowles looked lovely.
18. And a from-the-rear view of her Stephane Rolland gown proves just how thoroughly she’d prevailed in her pre-carpet fight with some marauding tumbleweeds.
19. Julianne Moore also wore a Christian Dior Haute Couture gown.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Julianne, but it was probably the weakest Dior piece on display.
20. Don’t be mad, please don’t be mad.
21. My favorite couple from the carpet: silver fox Jean-Claude Jitrois in a leather tuxedo jacket and French actress Frederique Bel covering her modesty with ornate embroidery and some grass skirt-style fringe.
Also, Jean-Claude’s boots have heels. Of course they do.
22. Los Angelean legend Phoebe Price and her dapper boy toy came a close second, though.
23. Georgia May Jagger showed how it’s possible to stand out on the red carpet even while wearing a dress that, color-wise, blends in.
A Roberto Cavalli gown will almost always prove outstanding.
24. Whereas poor Isla Fisher didn’t get that memo.
Her ruffled, flouncy Oscar de la Renta gown looks like it’s dripping into the carpet.
25. British actress Naomie Harris looked statuesque in Calvin Klein.
26. Oh, and who knows why, but Bai Ling was there.
27. Paz Vega’s dress is just asking to be tripped over.
28. Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor showed off an incredible nose ring.
29. Of course Cara Delevingne attended. It wouldn’t be a party without her, now, would it?
30. Wearing black lacy Burberry and posing like she’s in a high-end Chopard jewelry campaign. Those are some skillz for you.
31. Amitabh Bachchan blew away his competition in the “finest sequined dinner jacket” stakes.
Don’t tell Amitabh, but he was competing alone. :(
32. Also, just a quick reminder of how great Nicole Kidman looked, in case you’d forgotten already.
33. This guy’s suit cannot be ignored. It should be, but it cannot.
To be fair, he’ll be the comfiest guy in the cinema, though — he’s basically wearing a semi-formal pair of pajamas.
34. Here’s Fan Bing Bing looking coy.
35. And here’s Russian model Tanya Dziahileva staring you down.
36. OK, this is slightly less menacing.
37. Sensible shoes alert! That’s no fun at all.
38. And yes, as promised, the photographers went wild for David Hasselhoff. Ponder that.
- A judge ruled that the six Baltimore officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray, a black man allegedly killed by police in April, will have individual trials. ›
- Senate Democrats have secured enough votes to uphold the Iran nuclear deal when Congress votes on it later this month. ›
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks attempting to get through the tunnel. ›