2. Get quick word definitions with just a double click by adding the Google Dictionary extension.
Add the extension here.
3. Pin your most used tabs to the left to keep things clean and allow for more space.
To pin, just right click on the tab itself and select “Pin Tab.” They will be anchored to the left and the “X”s will disappear so you won’t accidentally close them, either.
4. Set a reminder for yourself from the search bar.
First, get the extension here. To set a reminder, type “tm” to activate the timer extension, then tab or spacebar, and finally the time and message. At the time you specify, you’ll get a desktop notification with your message.
5. Use Incognito Mode for no-trace browsing.
You can open an incognito session by going to File -> New Incognito Window. A lot of people already use this for… lewd browsing, but it also comes in hand if you’re gift shopping for someone else and getting around some prominent paywalls.
6. On a PC, improve the spell check by checking one extra box.
Just be forewarned that you might be sending yet even more info to Google than they already nab from you. More info here.
7. Add custom search engines to search inside specific sites more quickly and easily.
Right click on any search box and select “Add As Search Engine.” In the subsequent menu, make sure you pick a simple, memorable keyword, ‘cause that’s what you’ll use as a shortcut in the main search bar.
Then type the keyword you chose in the search bar, hit space and Chrome will know to search only that site.
8. Get quick summaries of long articles with the TLDR extension.
I don’t know what kind of algorithmic sorcery they use to make this work, but it’s pretty amazing. Get the extension here.
9. If you accidentally exit Chrome, you can recover all your tabs by pressing Ctrl+Shift+T (PC) or Command+Shift+ T (Mac) once you reopen the browser.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️