For the past year, Johnstone has been traveling to the Wake County Animal Center in Raleigh and bringing the homeless dogs there to the local landfill for an individual portrait session. Here are some of the portraits.
2. Below are the dogs who are still looking for a permanent home.
Johnstone chose the landfill as the backdrop for her project to draw attention to the fact that the landfill is where euthanized pets are buried, and because “the county animal shelter falls under the same management as the landfill,” reflecting a belief that these homeless creatures are simply another form of waste.
17. She also makes sure to update followers of her project when a dog finds a permanent home.
27. Through her photos, Johnstone hopes to capture the hope and beauty in each of these creatures and inspire viewers to consider providing a permanent home for the animals in their local shelters.
H/T My Modern Met
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France following protests last week.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?