For the past year, Johnstone has been traveling to the Wake County Animal Center in Raleigh and bringing the homeless dogs there to the local landfill for an individual portrait session. Here are some of the portraits.
2. Below are the dogs who are still looking for a permanent home.
Johnstone chose the landfill as the backdrop for her project to draw attention to the fact that the landfill is where euthanized pets are buried, and because “the county animal shelter falls under the same management as the landfill,” reflecting a belief that these homeless creatures are simply another form of waste.
17. She also makes sure to update followers of her project when a dog finds a permanent home.
27. Through her photos, Johnstone hopes to capture the hope and beauty in each of these creatures and inspire viewers to consider providing a permanent home for the animals in their local shelters.
H/T My Modern Met
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- MLB issued its first-ever lifetime ban for performance enhancing drugs to New York Mets' Jenrry Mejia.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.