1. Sanjyot Telang, a Paris-based photographer, recently worked with Mumbai NGO Kimkan on a fashion photoshoot featuring young women living with Down syndrome.
3. The project, titled “Fashion Misfits” captures these women in various outfits to defying conventional beauty standards.
5. “I feel [people with special needs] have been an ignored part of our society for the longest time,” Telang told BuzzFeed.
7. “There is a need to explore the versatile interpretations of beauty and be more accepting to all kinds of people,” she added.
9. “With the help of this project, I’d like to create a space in the fashion and advertising industry, ultimately to open channels catering to [people with special needs] as well, so that they can find a way to fashionably express themselves and become role models to our society too.”
12. “Contrary to the belief, it was absolutely easy working with these girls since they were as natural and nonchalant as professional models in front of the camera,” Telang said.
13. Watch the video of the shoot here:
14. If anyone wishes to contact Kimkan, email Yojana Wavikar at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fashion Styling by Debangini Nath
Hair & make up by Romi Thokchom Nilakumaroma
Models Vilu, Kimaya, Namrata, Prarthana, Shefali, Rimsha
Assistants Talib Chitalwala ,Natasha Nair, Sachin Salunkhe
NGO co-ordinator Yojana Wavikar @Kimkan
Production Support Azhar Sayed @Aditi Productions
Raman Lamba Urban Buddha @Twism Design Productions
Rafique Sayed studios@Byculla, Mumbai