15 Things That'll Make Working Out A Little Less Miserable
Get faster and stronger without even realizing it.
The motivation to work out doesn't come naturally to everyone.
But there *are* ways to pump up your fitness game and make those workouts fly by. 🚀
2. If you don't like Nike+, Spotify's (free, iOS, coming soon for Android) built-in running features are pretty great too.
4. If you like to do different types of workouts, FitRadio (free, iOS, Android, Blackberry) is where it's at.
Every beat-bumping mix is sorted by genre, beats per minute (BPM), and workout. From Tabata to Zumba, from country to hip-hop, there are thousands of DJ-curated playlists to choose from. Each mix has a consistent BPM so it won't take you to the next level, but you can simply switch to a mix with a higher, more challenging BPM (just don't overdo it).
On the free tier, you get one genre, plus three to six additional mixes of various genres, all with ads. You can unlock all mixes, without ads, with a monthly or yearly subscription plan (ranges from $3 to $36).
The apps analyze songs in your current music library and rates them. It's easy in Tempo Run — the songs are put on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 is a walk, 5 is a jog, and 10 is a sprint). Easy! So you pick and choose what song you want to play based on how fast you want to go.
PaceDJ, on the other hand, allows you to set your target pace, then creates a mix based on your activity type and your speed. No work necessary.
6. Use your favorite song to motivate yourself to sprint.
7. These 10-minute workouts will have you dancing in between your reps.
8. What about workouts that you can do in front of the TV??
9. Speaking of TV, these made-for-TV workouts have you doing exercises like a drinking game!
10. The Walk ($3, iOS and Android) is an adventure app that will make you want to take the long way home.
12. With Turf.ly (free, iOS, and Android coming soon), challenge friends to see who can cover the most ground.
14. Ninja Fitness (free, iOS) will train you to be fast and strong, just like an old grandmaster.
You'll be guided by a "legendary trainer," the very sassy Grandmaster Old Beard through the course of your practice, which will get progressively more difficult. Each workout is a combination of strength, cardio, and yoga, and as you complete workouts, you'll earn new outfits, armor, and weapons for your own 3D avatar ninja. His or her strength, agility, endurance, and zen points will increase with your own.
15. Carrot Fit ($3, iOS) is the spunkiest trainer you'll ever meet.
If negative reinforcement is more your thing, then this sassy app will whip your buns into shape fast. The app will give you "7 minutes in hell." As you finish each set, you'll earn rewards like cat facts and permission to watch your friend eat a bag of potato chips.