1. Replace your plain old ceiling light with a lampshade.
2. Hide an ugly backsplash with plastic tiles that look like tin.
3. Hide your television wires in a shower curtain rod.
4. Dress up your windows with crown molding.
5. Hiding beneath the outer layer of your laminate countertop is a stonelike surface waiting to be painted.
6. Add cheap framed mirrors to closet doors, painted to match.
Or add unframed mirrors to bifold closet doors.
7. Update your bathroom vanity in 20 minutes.
8. Use tab curtains to cover up unsightly wire shelving.
9. For when you need a little privacy, frost your windows with cornstarch.
This is witchcraft. Directions here.
10. Use simple brass hardware as curtain tie-backs.
11. Hang curtains closer to the ceiling to give the illusion of bigger windows.
12. The same basic theory works with your shower curtain, too: Spray-paint a shower rod gold and suspend it from the ceiling.
13. Get instant shaker-style kitchen cabinets.
14. Or use beadboard wallpaper for a more farmhouse look.
Get the directions here.
15. Add molding + shelving to the top of your kitchen cabinets.
The extra storage is an awesome bonus, but it also adds an extra level of polish to your kitchen. Directions here.
16. Double up on your shower curtains so they part instead of slide.
17. Bookend your closet rods with fancy shelf brackets.
18. Mix and match your sheer curtains.
19. Get the right-size rugs and know how to place them.
20. Frame your flat screen with molding trim.
21. Make a dining room table instantly more charming by attaching wood planks.
22. Cover up an unsightly air vent with a rubber doormat.
23. Just a coat of spray paint will make old air vents look new again.
24. Hang curtain rods to create a makeshift canopy bed.
25. Paint your vinyl or linoleum flooring.
26. Did you hear? Accent ceilings are the new accent walls.
27. Half-painted walls give the illusion of a taller ceiling.
28. Inexpensive craft store frames fit perfectly around your light switch covers.
29. Make a boring cabinet look regal with molding.
30. Use a curved shower curtain rod to make a window look bigger.
31. Use carpet underlayment as your rug pad to get that comfy plush feeling.
32. Liquid stainless-steel paint exists, y'all.
Rejoice! Cuz new appliances these days are basically highway robbery. Get the directions here.
33. Paint faux windows on your garage door.
34. Swap your outlet covers with jumbo outlet covers.
35. Un-stain and restain your furniture.
Trends change, and sometimes that orangey cherry stain isn't really the look you're going for anymore. Getting the stain off a piece of furniture is surprisingly easy. Get the directions here.
36. Framing your bathroom mirror will make it "sit" nicely with the rest of your decor.
37. Cover your unsightly cords with suede cording you can buy at any craft store.
See how they did this here.
38. Add a strip of trim a bit above already existing baseboards, paint between, and you get faux thick baseboards.
39. Dress your bed like they do in the hotels.
40. Use picture frames as wainscoting.
And the Victorian transformation is now complete. Get the tutorial here.