1. Because smiling will actually help you deal with stressful things better.
2. Because kids who smile more in their childhood photos have stronger marriages down the line.
3. Because people who smile more may actually live longer.
4. Because smiling makes you look trustworthy.
That's according to research on split-second first impressions. People make a snap judgment about you within 100 milliseconds of seeing your face. And they tend to judge smiling faces as trustworthy, and non-smiling faces as non-trustworthy.
5. Because smiling makes you look kind.
6. Because smiling is attractive!
7. Because smiling is contagious!
8. Because smiling will make you think things are funnier.
Researchers asked study participants to watch cartoons. Some of the participants had to hold a pencil in between their teeth (forcing them to, effectively, smile). Those people rated the cartoons as funnier than the people who weren't forced to smile.
9. And because when you smile, other people feel good.
Thumbnail image credit: Kevork Djansezian / Reuters