18 Important Things You'll Wish You'd Known In College
Super smart advice from people who've been there. Inspired by this Quora thread.
A Quora user asked: What are some important things you wish you'd known in college? And then a ton of people offered up some seriously smart advice.
Here are some of the lessons they had to share (and a few of my own, based on my personal experiences). Any you'd add? Leave them in comments.
1. Other people are just as anxious and uncomfortable as you are.
2. Get involved in activities.
3. The more effort you put into making friends who you genuinely like, the better and stronger your friendships will be.
4. Don't be scared to be weird.
5. Your major doesn't really matter.
6. Learn how to write a strong cover letter.
7. Take classes that you're actually excited about, if at all possible.
This is really your best opportunity to take classes in things that just interest you, for the sake of being interested and learning new things. Take advantage of it! You never know what you might discover.
8. Try everything!
9. Volunteer in your community.
10. Take a computer science class.
You never know — you might even enjoy it and go on to learn an incredibly useful (and marketable) skill.