1. A Liberal Democrat MP came under criticism from his party late on Tuesday night for saying he would “fire a rocket” if he lived in Gaza. David Ward, MP for Bradford West, sent out two tweets earlier in the day which caused a stir on social media.
4. The tweet was met with near instant condemnation, with many suggesting that the politician is endorsing terrorism and the murder of innocent civilians.
6. Ward is now set to face disciplinary action. A party spokesman said Ward’s remarks were “clearly vile, crass and offensive” and that he would be subjected to disciplinary action.
The spokesman also told the BBC: “At a time when all sides should be working for a ceasefire and a peaceful settlement, it defies belief that a Liberal Democrat MP should tweet something so vile and irresponsible.
“We fully support his right to campaign on behalf of the Palestinian people, but these views are clearly vile, crass and offensive.”
9. Israel last week launched a ground offensive into Gaza City as part of Operation Protective Edge, with the aim of reducing rocket fire into Israel from Hamas militants. 631 Palestinians and 30 Israelis have died since the operation began.
10. This is not the first time the Lib Dem MP has tweeted about Palestine. In July 2013, he was suspended after he questioned the existence of Israel and referred to it as an “apartheid state”.
There was also a public outcry against Ward in January 2013, when he compared the situation of Palestinians to that of the “suffering of the Jews” during the Holocaust.
He said at an event on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day that “the suffering by the Jews has not transformed their views on how others should be treated.”
He later added on his blog: “I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”
- A conservation group in Zimbabwe reported that Jericho, the brother of beloved lion Cecil, was shot and killed by a hunter. But some scientists monitoring the pride believe he is OK.
- Joe Biden has begun to "actively explore a possible presidential campaign," the New York Times reports.
- The trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland was disciplined for "unprofessional conduct" in the fall of 2014, records show.