2. Mork & Mindy, 1978–1982.
Well sir, you know when you create someone, and you nurture them, they grow… Well, there comes a time when they lead their own life, or die their own death.”
5. Popeye, 1980.
And I yam what I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam and that’s all that I yam ‘cause I yam what I yam.
7. As Popeye in 1980 (left), and arriving to open for Martin Mull at the Roxy in Hollywood in 1979.
8. At a 1986 Comic Relief TV special alongside Whoopi Goldberg and Billy Crystal.
9. Posing for a portrait in 1984 (left), and with Twiggy in Club Paradise, 1986.
10. Good Morning, Vietnam, 1987.
Good Morning, Vietnam, in which he depicted Vietnam War-era air-force radio presenter Adrian Cronauer, won Williams a nomination for the Best Actor Oscar in 1988.
Gooooooooood mooorrrrrrrrnnnning Vietnam… It’s 0600. What does the ‘O’ stand for? O my god it’s early.
12. With Tom Cruise at Paramount Pictures’ 75th anniversary party in Los Angeles in 1987.
13. With his son Zachary at Comic Relief in 1987.
14. In Marlo Thomas: Free to Be a Family in 1988 (left), and receiving Hasty Pudding Theatrical’s Man of the Year award at Harvard University in 1989.
15. Dead Poets Society, 1989.
We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
17. Awakenings, 1990.
The human spirit is more powerful than any drug, and that is what needs to be nourished. Work, play, friendship, family: these are the things that matter. This is what we’ve forgotten. Simplest things.
19. With his second wife, Marsha, at a screening for Awakenings in New York in 1990.
20. Hook, 1991.
You’re not old enough to shave! What are you doing with a sword? And flying around… This is an insurance nightmare!
22. Toys, 1992.
23. Aladdin, 1992.
Say, you’re a lot smaller than my last master. Either that or I’m getting bigger. Look at me from the side do I look different to you?
25. Mrs. Doubtfire, 1993.
Oh, sir. I saw it! Some angry member of the kitchen staff, Did you not tip them? Oh, the terrorists! They run that way. It was a run-by fruiting.
27. Jumanji, 1995.
Beware the ground in which you stand, the floor is quicker than the sand.
29. Flubber, 1997
I love you with all my heart. With every cell, with every molecule, with every atom. I love you on the sub-atomic level.
31. In a Jean Paul Gaultier shirt in 1995 (left), and with Jennifer Lopez at the premiere of Jack in 1996.
32. Good Will Hunting, 1997.
If I ask you about women, you’d probably give me a syllabus about your personal favourites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can’t tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy.
34. Winning the Best Actor in a Supporting Role Oscar for Good Will Hunting in 1998.
His acceptance speech is a rather special thing to watch.
35. What Dreams May Come, 1998.
“Boy, I screwed up. I’m in dog heaven! Place where we all go can’t be bad, can it girl?”
36. Bicentennial Man, 1999.
37. One Hour Photo, 2002.
38. Accepting a Career Achievement Award at the Chicago International Film Festival (left), and at the Independent Spirit Awards in Los Angeles in 2005.
39. Night at the Museum, 2006.
As Theodore Roosevelt alongside Ben Stiller.