1. A baby boy was born to Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William at 4:24 p.m. GMT (11:24 a.m. ET) Monday. The baby weighed 8 pounds, 6 ounces at birth.
2. The baby was born in the Lindo Wing of St Mary’s Hospital in London, where William and Harry were both born.
3. Kate delivered naturally and the labor was overseen by Alan Farthing, the queen’s surgeon-gynaecologist.
4. In a break with tradition, the birth was initially announced via an emailed press release as opposed to a notice posted to an easel at the gates of Buckingham Palace.
“William and Kate’s officials say they’ve made this change so the birth announcement can be made as ‘quickly and simply as possible,’” the BBC’s Peter Hunt reported.
The press release did not reveal the child’s names (yes, names), instead stating that they would be announced “in due course.” It also reiterated the infant’s title: “His Royal Highness Prince [NAME] of Cambridge.”
6. After the announcement had been made, the official proclamation was framed and taken to be displayed at Buckingham Palace.
Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 4:24 p.m. today.
Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well.
8. The little prince will be third in line to the throne, after his father and grandfather, Prince Charles.
9. Clarence House confirmed the news via Twitter.
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 4.24pm
The baby weighs 8lbs 6oz.
The Duke of Cambridge was present for the birth.
The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Harry & families have been told and are delighted.
Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well and will remain in hospital overnight.
14. Prince Charles released a very sweet message shortly afterward:
Both my wife and I are overjoyed at the arrival of my first grandchild. It is an incredibly special moment for William and Catherine and we are so thrilled for them on the birth of their baby boy.
Grandparenthood is a unique moment in anyone’s life, as countless kind people have told me in recent months, so I am enormously proud and happy to be a grandfather for the first time and we are eagerly looking forward to seeing the baby in the near future.
15. The Royal Family’s official Twitter account posted a message from the Queen and Prince Phillip, the child’s great-grandparents.
The Queen and Prince Philip are delighted at the news of the birth of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s baby
17. The new family will live in Kensington Palace in the recently renovated apartment 1A.
18. “We could not be happier,” Prince William said in a statement Monday night.
19. The news was met with great excitement in London.
Daily Mail U.K.
Birth of future King celebrated with special animation from BT Tower http://t.co/Mt5B9gifiD #RoyalCongrats
20. Thousands of people swarmed Buckingham Palace to see the royal proclamation.
The London Eye has lit up to celebrate the royal baby’s birth…
23. President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama released a statement congratulating the proud parents:
Michelle and I are so pleased to congratulate The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the joyous occasion of the birth of their first child. We wish them all the happiness and blessings parenthood brings. The child enters the world at a time of promise and opportunity for our two nations. Given the special relationship between us, the American people are pleased to join with the people of the United Kingdom as they celebrate the birth of the young prince.
24. The First Lady also tweeted a personal message to the couple.
Congratulations to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of their son! Being a parent is the best job of all. -mo
- With head clerk Kim Davis jailed, Rowan County issued its first same-sex marriage license since the Supreme Court's June decision. ›
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- A drowned Syrian boy, whose picture caused outrage around the world, has been buried together with his mother and 5-year-old brother. ›