1 cup whole milk
4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
1-0.75 ounce packet instant yeast
⅓ cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
3 mashed ripe bananas
4½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup honey
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a large, microwave-proof bowl, combine the milk and melted butter. Microwave for 40 seconds, until the milk mixture reaches 110˚F (45˚C). Add the yeast, then let sit for 10 minutes. Add the granulated sugar, salt, mashed bananas and stir.
2. Add 3½ cups of flour, ½ cup at a time, stirring between each addition. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 3 minutes, adding more flour ¼ cup at a time if the dough is sticking to your hands or the surface. Form the dough into a ball.
3. Add the oil to clean large bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight, until doubled in size.
4. Once the dough has risen, roll it out to a ¼-inch-thick rectangle about 18 by 12 inches.
5. Make the filling by mixing the melted butter, granulated sugar, and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
6. Spread the filling evenly over the dough. Roll up the dough and slice into 15 1½-inch-thick slices (discard the ends).
7. Pour the caramel sauce into a 9 x 12-inch baking dish and sprinkle the walnuts on top of sauce. Arrange the rolls in the dish so there are 3 rows of 5 rolls.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and let the rolls rise for 15 minutes, in a warm place.
9. Make the caramel sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, and honey, stirring to prevent the sugar from sticking to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil, then remove the pan from the heat.
10. Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
11. Remove the plastic wrap and bake the cinnamon rolls for 40 minutes, or until light golden brown.
12. Let cool for 20 minutes, then invert the rolls onto a serving platter. Leftover cinnamon rolls can be stored up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or oven.