1. Last night’s Saturday Night Live cold open addressed Obama’s behavior at Nelson Mandel’s funeral: the selfie, his handshake with Raúl Castro, and there was even an appearance from the notorious fake interpreter.
2. The interpreter’s gestures were pretty perfect as Obama spoke about the Healthcare.gov website.
3. “I have been listening to what Americans are saying.”
4. “We’ve seen huge improvements to our website.”
5. “While I can’t say I’ve been entirely thrilled with the results…”
6. “… I’m just relieved that the website has been turned on again.”
7. Then German Chancellor Angela Merkel came to take some selfies with the President. This was the serious one.
8. Then they did a fun one.
9. During the past week people were hoping the fake interpreter would make an appearance on the show.
I was watching SNL just to see if they said something about the sign language interpreter and it was the first thing!! Hahaha
Bet you a dollar the sign language interpreter will be the first thing on SNL this weekend.
12. And they did not let the people down.
SA Interpreter #SNL I could have watched a whole show just of that bit.
Kenan Thompson was terrific as the “sign language interpreter” from South Africa. Thank you for giving us all what we hoped for!! #SNL
15. Seriously, I could have watched a lot more of just this.
- A newly unearthed Homeland Security report contradicts Donald Trump's travel ban, saying country of origin is not a reliable indicator of terrorism.
- The White House blocked several media outlets it's been critical of, including BuzzFeed, from a closed-door briefing by Press Secretary Sean Spicer.
- Hillary Clinton returned to the public arena in one of her first political appearances since the election, urging Democrats to "keep fighting."
- The White House strongly denies reports that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus urged the FBI to undermine stories linking Trump to Russia.