Everyone in Hollywood can be connected to Kevin Bacon by six degrees or fewer — or at least that’s the conceit behind the Kevin Bacon game. According to an analysis of IMDB data though, Kevin Bacon is only the 444th most connected person in Hollywood.
Here are the 40 most connected people in Hollywood, along with the average number of degrees it would take to link them to anyone else in Hollywood, according to Oracle of Bacon, a computer program developed by graduate students at the University of Virginia. You’ll note they are mostly white male actors of a certain age — and Patrick Reynolds, the man behind the website, told BuzzFeed why.
4. David Carradine, 2.819993 degrees
Pictured on the television series Kung Fu.
5. Udo Kier, 2.826828 degrees
Pictured in Children of Wax.
8. Max von Sydow, 2.834873 degrees
Pictured in The Seventh Seal.
10. Seymour Cassel, 2.838441 degrees
Pictured in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
11. Christopher Lee, 2.841070 degrees
Pictured in Dracula.
13. Malcolm McDowell, 2.845197 degrees
Pictured in A Clockwork Orange.
14. Christopher Plummer, 2.850164 degrees
Pictured in The Sound of Music.
15. Harry Dean Stanton, 2.850275 degrees
Pictured in Big Love.
18. Rod Steiger, 2.852075 degrees
Pictured in In The Heat Of The Night.
21. Samuel L. Jackson, 2.856922 degrees
Pictured in Pulp Fiction.
22. Ben Gazzara, 2.859615 degrees
Pictured with Jaqueline Bisset in Inchon.
23. Karen Black, 2.860055 degrees
Pictured with Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces.
24. Christopher Walken, 2.865712 degrees
Pictured in The Deer Hunter.
25. Rance Howard, 2.865895 degrees
Pictured on The Andy Griffith Show.
26. John Malkovich, 2.867244 degrees
Pictured in Being John Malkovich.
27. James Caan, 2.870930 degrees
Pictured in Honeymoon in Vegas.
29. Ernest Borgnine, 2.875806 degrees
Pictured in McHale’s Navy.
30. Burt Reynolds, 2.876833 degrees
Pictured in Smokey and the Bandit.
31. James Earl Jones, 2.877212 degrees
Pictured in Field of Dreams.
34. James Hong, 2.879709 degrees
Pictured with Tia Carrere in Wayne’s World 2
35. Charlton Heston, 2.880350 degrees
Pictured in The Ten Commandments.
36. Robert Duvall, 2.880495 degrees
Pictured in Apocalypse Now.
39. John Turturro, 2.881934 degrees
Pictured in The Big Lebowski.