1. Every year, the Nathan’s Famous-sponsored contest opens on Coney Island with the top women in competitive eating.
From left to right: Michelle Lesco, Sonya Thomas, Miki Sudo, and Juliet Lee.
2. “Black Widow” — or Sonya Thomas, a 47-year-old South Korean native who lives in Virginia — has won the past three years.
3. But she had serious competition this year in Miki Sudo, a 28-year-old from Las Vegas.
4. In the end, “Black Widow” ate 27¾ hot dogs in 10 minutes — nowhere near her 2013 record of 45.
5. Sudo downed 34 dogs, ending Thomas’s streak and taking home the $20,000 prize.
6. The men’s competition began later in the afternoon — after reigning champion Joey Chestnut proposed to his longtime girlfriend live on ESPN.
From left to right: Tim Janus, Joey Chestnut, Matt Stonie, and Erik Denmark.