1. September 3, 2009: Morning Joe mentions Chris Christie after a Quinnipiac poll reveals that Christie is crushing then Gov. John Corzine by 10 points in the race for the New Jersey governorship.
2. October 6, 2009: Joe responds to viewer concerns about the fact that Christie has yet to appear on the show.
SCARBOROUGH: “Why don’t we have Mr. Christie on the air? Very simple. He won’t come on. We’ve asked him. We’ll ask him again.”
3. October 14th, 2009: With just twenty days until the election, Chris Christie drops in on Morning Joe for the very first time.
As this historic moment in cable news history concludes, Scarborough, who had been nervous about co-host Mika Brzezinski saying something “rude” about Christie’s weight, asks the candidate how she did:
SCARBOROUGH: “Was she OK?”
CHRISTIE: “Yes, great! Not OK, great!
4. April 14, 2010:“Yesterday, we had Chris Christie on. He’s making a lot of enemies. Guess what he’s doing? What Republicans used to do.” — Joe Scarborough
5. April 15, 2010: “Chris Christie sat in that chair a couple days ago showing a lot of courage with a state that’s melting down.” — Joe Scarborough
6. April 22, 2010: “I love him.” — Mika Brzezinski
SCARBOROUGH: “Let me tell you something, I’m going to be honest, we had Chris Christie on our show, we sort of made fun of him.”
MIKA: “I love him.”
SCARBOROUGH: “Turn the music down. This is important. I’m dead serious here. I just could not believe that this guy would win. This is how Republicans are supposed to talk and they haven’t talked this way in a decade.”
MIKA: And he doesn’t prepare it. He just talks.
8. June 29, 2010: Christie’s takes a victory lap on Joe after passing his first budget in New Jersey.
9. July 26, 2010: “He hates Snooki.”
MIKA: “He (Christie) takes issue with that show Jersey Shore, and actually talked about it on a Sunday morning talk show. He hates Snooki. Could that be? I kind of like what he had to say.”
11. September 24, 2010: “How many times can we tell Chris Christie we love him?” — Joe Scarborough
12. September 3, 2010: While discussing standouts of the midterm elections, the Joe panel anoints Christie as the future of the Republican Party:
MIKA: “I think he is the one.”
13. January 25, 2011: Christie turns down an invitation to deliver the Republican rebuttal to the State of the Union:
SCARBOROUGH: “What a smart move by Christie. Look at the past ten guys or women who have done the response. Nothing good ever comes of it.”
14. February 17, 2011: “Is he (Christie) really that great or is everybody else so bad?” — Mika Brzezinski
SCARBOROUGH: “No politician has ever come out and said, ‘You shut down the government? I’m going opening up a beer and watching the Mets play. I’ll come back when you open it again.’”
17. June 17, 2011: The Morning Joe crew enjoys Willie Geist’s retelling of the most famous episode of Christie ★ On The Line ever.
SCARBOROUGH: “In this button down area of politics, there’s a reason people like Chris Christie.”
September 23, 2011: “I’ve heard it five or six times from people in different spheres, Chris Christie is passing up a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to jump into this field because the Republicans want him, the field is weak, and the President’s weak.” — Joe Scarborough
19. October 26, 2011: “Chris Christie is the most popular Republican governor in America right now.” — Joe Scarborough
December 12, 2011: “If Chris Christie ran (for the ‘12 Republican nomination), he’d be 40 points ahead.” — Joe Scarborough
21. December 20, 2011: “Chris Christie could certainly be President.” — Joe Scarborough
22. February 24, 2012: “We have to get Chris Christie back here…Wasn’t that an amazing talk yesterday?” — Joe Scarborough
Scarborough discussing Jonathan Capehart’s attempted grilling of the governor on the topic of marriage equality:
23. April 12, 2012: “My main man, Chris Christie. His numbers are insane! This guy is pushing 60% in New Jersey. One of the bluest states in America. In New Jersey! Come on! That’s just amazing.” — Joe Scarborough
24. May 8, 2012: “He’s one of the most popular governors in America.” — Joe Scarborough
25. June 12, 2012: “If Chris Christie would have decided to go (run for president), Chris would have won — he would have been out front.” — Joe Scarborough
26. November 7, 2012: On election night, Morning Joe defends Christie for working with Obama during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
SCARBOROUGH: “Chris Christie is going to get hammered over the next couple of weeks for doing his job and also for being bipartisan.”
27. November 27, 2012:
MIKA: “Governor Chris Christie is getting ready for a second term. The Republican governor has filed paperwork to run for reelection. Christie currently enjoys a record high approval rating from — following his hands on response to Hurricane Sandy.”
28. November 29, 2012: “You want to get re-elected? You want to be a hero in your party? Look at Chris Christie. Start to move over to the other side of the aisle.” — Donny Deutsch
29. December 13, 2012: “Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and Chris Christie.” — Joe Scarborough
31. January 9, 2013: “You can read into those (poll) numbers and see there’s a diverse amount of support for him.” — Mika Brzezinski
SCARBOROUGH: “Conservatives that hate Chris Christie, let me repeat that; Chris Christie has a 73% approval rating.”
32. January 8, 2013: “Chris Christie, a huge leader in the party, came out against the NRA.” — Mark Halperin
33. January 22, 2013: “It will be very open for the Republican party in 2016 for somebody like a Chris Christie to step into the frey and seize the reins.” — Joe Scarborough
35. January 25, 2013: “Chris Christie has a new Facebook friend.” — Joe Scarborough
36. February 13, 2013: “He’s a smart man, Chris Christie, and he’s in the 70s.” — Joe Scarborough
37. February 20, 2013:
WILLIE GEIST: “New Jersey governor Chris Christie’s approval rating now at 74% in that state. That’s the highest the survey has ever recorded for a governor in the state of New Jersey. When it comes to a potential matchup in the 2016 presidential race, because why not, Hillary Clinton gets 49% against Chris Christie. He gets 45%”.
40. March 27, 2013: “Governor Chris Christie assuring Queen Elizabeth that she has nothing to worry about when Prince Harry visits the Jersey Shore.” — Mike Barnicle
41. May 6, 2013: “We have to stop judging people who are struggling with their weight.” — Mika Brzezinski
42. May 7, 2013: “He’s a tough, hard charging guy.” — Joe Scarborough
MIKA: “He tried everything.
43. May 7, 2013:
- President Obama stepped up his climate change campaign on Monday while touring the Alaskan Arctic, warning that it's "almost too late" to stop global warming. ›
- The U.S. Supreme Court says a Kentucky county must issue marriage licenses while its clerk appeals a ruling in a lawsuit from three same-sex couples against her "no marriage licenses" policy. ›
- The Temple of Bel, an important ancient structure in the ISIS-held Syrian city of Palmyra, has been destroyed, the United Nations says. ›