1. Legendary actress and civil rights activist Ruby Dee has died.
TMZ reports that the actress was at her home in New Rochelle, NY, “surrounded by family” when she passed.
2. Dee’s cinematic career began in 1946 when she appeared in the musical That Man Of Mine. Later in her career, she took on the iconic roles of Ruth Younger in A Raisin in the Sun and Mama Lucas in American Gangster.
3. She and her husband, the late Ossie Davis, were fixtures in many of Spike Lee’s movies, including Do The Right Thing and Jungle Fever, which they appeared in together.
4. They were also fiercely outspoken activists during the Civil Rights Movement.
Dee was a member of several noted civil rights organizations, including the SCLC, the NAACP, SNCC, and CORE. Both she and Ossie Davis worked closely with Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, who was famously eulogized by Davis at his funeral.
5. Throughout her life, Dee was lauded and awarded for her accomplishments both on and off screen.
For her work on the small screen, the silver screen, and in animation, Dee won or was nominated for a plethora of awards, including Emmys, Grammys, SAG Awards, and Image Awards.
For their efforts in furthering the cause of civil rights, she and her late husband were awarded the National Medal of Arts in 1995, and the Lifetime Achievement Freedom Award by the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., led his famous sanitation workers’ strike and was later assassinated. She was awarded an honorary degree from Princeton ins 2009.
If I could be — somebody could think of me and feel encouraged, I’d like to be remembered as — is in those little flashes of moments, I think, that we remember each other that pick us up from some moments of despair. That’s how I’d like to be remembered, in the recollection to make the moment more bearable, if not enjoyable.
- President Trump addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC, the same gathering he skipped last year amid tensions with organizers.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Uber's CEO met with more than 100 female engineers on Thursday to discuss sexism and harassment allegations at the company.