The Associated Press
BREAKING: Popular psychologist Joyce Brothers has died in New York at age 85 -RJJ
Psychologist Joyce Brothers, the beloved Good Housekeeping columnist and frequent guest on shows like Match Game, Saturday Night Live, Happy Days, Married… with Children and All That, has died, her daughter confirmed to CNN.
She had a Ph.D from Columbia University and an undergraduate degree from Cornell University, but Brothers’ big break came in 1955 with an appearance on The $64,000 Question game show, when she reportedly memorized 20 volumes of a boxing encyclopedia to win the top prize. She was the show’s second — and only female — winner.
In 1989, she told the Washington Post, “I invented media psychology. I was the first. The founding mother.”
4. Here’s a compilation of her clips, including that 1955 game show appearance.
5. And here she is talking “naughty parts” with Conan O’Brien.
- The Trump administration is rolling back an Obama-era policy aimed at protecting transgender students in public schools.
- North Dakota police have begun clearing out Standing Rock protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- Facebook is in negotiations with the Major League Baseball League to possibly stream one game per week during the 2017 season.