1. Bungie hit it big with Halo: Combat Evolved in 2001.
2. Naughty Dog, which just released game of the year candidate The Last of Us, had their first smash with Crash Bandicoot in 1996.
It was only available on the 3DO, the disastrous licensed game console.
3. Blizzard, the force behind the titanic World of Warcraft, released the first Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, in 1994.
(Actually, this game rules.)
But still, gurrr??
4. Rovio is the Finnish developer that can print money due to the Angry Birds games, the first of which came out in 2009.
The same year, they released Bounce: Evolution, a game about a ball with eyes.
For the Nokia N900. That world-conquering piece of technology.
6. Bethesda, which has released the triumphant Skyrim and Fallout 3 in the past 5 years, put out the first Elder Scrolls game in 1994.
7. Insomniac started on their run of terrific platformers with 1998’s Spyro the Dragon. They’ve since moved onto the Resistance and Ratchet and Clank series.
But in 1996, they got their start with the generic first person shooter, Disruptor.
What in god’s name?
8. Ubisoft Montreal has made almost too many great games to name, starting in 2002 with the first Splinter Cell.
And including the Assassin’s Creed games, Far Cry 2 and 3, and the modern Prince of Persia games.
Their first game, from 1998, is a wacky N64 platformer called Tonic Trouble
No. No. No.
9. Polyphony Digital, a Sony studio, has made every Grand Turismo since the second one, in 1999.
Earlier that year, they released Omega Boost, which is definitely something.
10. DICE are the graphic-master Swedes behind the Battlefield series, the first of which, Battlefield: 1942, was a smash in 2002.
11. SCE Santa Monica had its first major hit with God of War in 2005.
Their only game before that? Kinetica, a forgettable 2001 racer.
They got started in 1995 with Skeleton Warriors, which is not awesome.
13. And then there’s the mighty Valve, of the nearly perfect Portal games.
Their first game, in 1998, was just a little nothing game called, oh wait.
- Donald Trump says he's making a last-minute trip to Mexico today before his speech on immigration policy.
- Here's how bankers are using a powerful, little-known justice system to turn a huge profit: part three of a BuzzFeed News investigation.
- Brazil's senate has voted to remove Dilma Rousseff as president over a months-long corruption scandal.
- Researchers have found the first identical twins puppies ever confirmed in the dog species 🐶 🐶