Here is a thing that you might like to eat because it’s a tiny strawberry cup filled with super-boozy Jell-O.
What? You’d like a million of them, you say?
You will need: Strawberry Jell-O, water, strawberries, tequila, Cointreau, sugar, and a lime.
And about 4 and a half hours, at least, for the Jell-O to solidify. I know, it’s the worst. Sorry.
1. Cut the top off the strawberry. Make sure you hold it parallel to the board.
Balance it at the point where it is widest, parallel to the cutting board, to cut off the top.
(Don’t hold it tip down when you cut it.)
(Otherwise, when you stand it up, it won’t be flat — it’ll look like this.)
2. Then cut off a tiny part of the tip so that strawberry can stand upright.
(Make sure not to cut off too much or you’ll create a hole at the bottom.)
3. Then take a melon baller or small measuring spoon and carefully scoop out the inside.
5. Put them all on a baking sheet and dry them a little with a paper towel.
6. Combine Jell-O mix with 3/4 cup boiling water and stir 2 minutes to completely dissolve.
7. Measure out 1 cup of tequila.
8. And 3/4 cup of cointreau.
9. Stir booze into Jell-O mixture.
10. Pour Jell-O/booze mixture into strawberry cups.
11. Fill them up as much as possible, because Jell-O shrinks when it solidifies.
13. Obviously the garnishes aren’t ESSENTIAL. But if you want: When you’re ready to serve them, zest lime into a plate of sugar.
Yes, SUGAR. We tried it with salt on the rim, and that was gross.
14. Make your tiny lime garnishes.
15. Wet the side of the solidified Jell-O shot with lime or water.
16. And roll in your sugary lime zest.
You don’t really need to eat the lime, but its presence is recommended as it will add to the amount of praise you’ll receive from friends and Instagram followers.
Strawberry Margarita Jell-O Shots
24-30 large strawberries
1 box Strawberry Jell-O
1 cup tequila
3/4 cup cointreau
A melon baller or small measuring spoon with relatively sharp edges
1. Balancing the strawberry on its side, parallel to the cutting board at the point where it is widest, cut off the top.
2. Still holding it the same way, cut off a tiny part of the strawberry’s bottom tip so the berry can stand upright. Make sure not to cut off too much or you’ll create a hole at the bottom. Repeat with all remaining strawberries.
3. Using a melon baller or small measuring spoon, carefully scoop out the insides of the strawberries.
4. Put them all on a baking sheet and dry them a little with a paper towel.
5. Combine Jell-O mix with 3/4 cup boiling water and stir 2 minutes to completely dissolve.
6. Stir tequila and cointreau into the Jell-O mixture.
7. Using a container with a spout, pour Jell-O/booze mixture into strawberry cups. Fill them up as much as possible, because Jell-O shrinks when it solidifies.
8. Refrigerate four hours or until firm.
9. Zest lime into a plate of sugar.
10. Slice lime (you can use the same one if you don’t care about the aesthetics, or a new one if you do) into thin rounds, then cut into small wedges. You may also want to cut a small chunk through the center of each wedge’s flesh so they can balance on the tip of the strawberry.
11. Wet the sides of the solidified Jell-O shot with lime or water, roll in your sugar-lime zest, and garnish with lime wedge.
- At least 36 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- The president of the EU Council says the bloc's leaders want the UK's exit plans "to be specified as soon as possible."
- More athletes — nearly all of them golfers — have pulled out of the Rio Olympics over Zika virus concerns.