This is Janet Mock, a human being whose glow is undeniable and life-giving, like the sun.
Here are some of the things we learned:
1. Never trust anyone else’s lighting. Janet’s phone case works like its own light kit, which means her cheekbones + highlighter are always on point in photos.
You can find it on Amazon! If you think it’s too steep a price, think about it: what is a really good selfie worth to you?
2. Get yourself a husband who’s *literally* one of a kind.
Janet: “Aaron is the only child of a white midwestern woman from North Dakota who married the one black man who went to her college.”
Tracy: “You literally have the only one of him. This interview is over, goodbye.”
3. Don’t sleep on Destiny’s Child — the midriffs and the performances alone are worth it.
“They were so pivotal — seeing them. Seeing them was this lightbulb moment that not only could I exist and be powerful, but I could exist and be seen.” Spoken like the true TRL kid she is.
4. Julia Sugarbaker of Designing Women is a feminist hero we should really celebrate more often.
“She has the best monologues in the entire world. Go look at it.”
6. Find your people and let them lift you up. Like Keija Taylor, Editor-in-Chief of Brides magazine, who featured Janet and Aaron’s beautiful wedding.
“All of this stuff, all of it happened because of the black sisterhood. I felt cradled and taken care of to share parts of my marriage and wedding with the world.”
7. You can get her skincare routine! She uses Acne.org cleanser for oily skin and micellar water to remove makeup.
Get. That. Glow.
9. You don’t have to always respond; it’s okay to stay silent and take a break.
10. Get yourself something coral if you want to feel good. It’s the color of Janet’s soul!
“It reminds me of my grandmother’s garden. It reminds me of the orange in the birds-of-paradise, but also it just looks good. It pops.”
11. And this is important: trans folk, get your passports now.
Subscribe to Another Round on iTunes, or listen in your favorite podcast app!
How to listen:
1. Search for ‘Another Round’ in your podcast app of choice, like Overcast, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Acast, Apple’s built-in Podcast app, and more.
2. Or, click the embedded link to stream the show directly from this page.
3. Be sure to subscribe, so you never miss a new episode!
If you like the show, please rate and review it on iTunes. Questions? Comments? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Women's March on Washington was one of the largest protests in the city's history.
- Trump's spokesman held a press conference to blame grass coverings for "minimizing" the crowd at the inauguration 🤔
- Members of the national security community reacted with shock after Trump used a visit to CIA headquarters to attack his critics.
- "SNL" featured a shirtless Vladimir Putin celebrating America's newest President.