1. The 2014 Paralympic Winter Games kicked off Friday with an opening ceremony at Fisht Olympic Stadium.
13. There was even an icebreaker ship brought in that was, interestingly, christened “Peace.”
19. Russian President Vladimir Putin was there to toast with the President of the International Paralympic Committee.
20. Four-time track and field Paralympic champion Aleksey Ashapatov of Russia was honored at the torch lighting.
- Iraq's prime minister has ordered the arrest of anti-government protesters who breached Baghdad's fortified "Green Zone" and occupied the parliament building.
- Around 100 people drowned this past weekend after two migrant vessels went down in the Mediterranean sea.
- And elephants performed for the last time at Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey after years of protest from animal advocates 🐘