1. The 2014 Paralympic Winter Games kicked off Friday with an opening ceremony at Fisht Olympic Stadium.
13. There was even an icebreaker ship brought in that was, interestingly, christened “Peace.”
19. Russian President Vladimir Putin was there to toast with the President of the International Paralympic Committee.
20. Four-time track and field Paralympic champion Aleksey Ashapatov of Russia was honored at the torch lighting.
- Hillary Clinton has officially accepted the Democratic party's presidential nomination with some fiery words for Donald Trump 🇺🇸
- A federal court struck down North Carolina's voting restrictions, ruling they intentionally made it harder for black people to vote.
- Four people in Florida are likely the first to contract the Zika virus from mosquitos in the US, the state's governor says.