Here’s a basic formula, from Food52, to follow when making your own overnight oats:
1. First, mix rolled oats with an equal amount of your liquid of choice. You can use any combination of dairy or non-dairy milk, yogurt, or even juice; just stick with the same basic 1:1 ratio. If you’re using steel cut oats instead, use more liquid and be prepared to do some chewing.
2. Mix any spices, sweeteners, or dried fruit you like into the oats and milk.
3. Store in a glass jar or another airtight container and let the oats soak for at least three hours, ideally overnight. A nifty breakfast hack to try: Mix the oats in a nearly-empty peanut (or almond) butter jar.
4. In the morning, you can add fresh fruit, nuts, and other favorite toppings to your oatmeal.
Find your own favorite flavor combos or try these quick recipes below to create all kinds of oat-y goodness:
1. Make-Ahead Fruit & Yogurt Breakfast Parfaits
This recipe uses frozen fruit which means even less work for you. Luv u, frozfru.
2. Orange & Vanilla Overnight Oats
The toasted coconut really makes this dish feel fancy, and the fresh fruit makes it feel healthy!
3. Maple PPBB (Pecan Peanut Butter Banana) Overnight Oats
This recipe calls for more in the liquid part of the ratio, but it also includes yummy chia seeds whose job is to soak everything up anyways.
Plus, the name of it sounds exactly like what a lumberjack would make if they had to make overnight oats.
5. Coconut Mango Overnight Oatmeal
Would like this recipe to mango into my life right now.
6. Ginger Peach Overnight Oatmeal
Everything is great here when you combine seasonal stone fruits and yummy, healthy ginger.
7. Choco-Banana Overnight Oats
There is no greater love than between chocolate and banana. Top with carob chips, because you’re worth it.
8. Bircher Muesli With Plums And Pistachios
Don’t be scared that this muesli uses orange juice instead of milk. Just use the recipe to pretend like you’re Junie B. Jones!
9. (Salted) Caramel Mocha Overnight Oatmeal
BONUS: HIDDEN BANANA AND YOGURT.
10. Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats
Is it cheating if you use a flavored yogurt? NOT AT ALL.
11. Apple of My Eye Overnight Oatmeal
Do you like apple pie? Do you like oatmeal? MAKE THIS!
12. Tropical Overnight Oats
Maybe use a tiny paper umbrella on top to go with this tropical theme. Everyone could use a little pick-me-up in the morning!
(Turn almost-empty jars into a bountiful breakfast container!)
13. Black Forest Overnight Oatmeal
CHOCOLATE. AND. CHERRIES. Y’ALL!
14. MMM-style Overnight Oats
Maybe now’s the time you try cooking this “rhubarb” you’ve heard all about. And look at what a pretty parfait this makes with the chia seeds!
15. Banana Kiwi Overnight Oats
Now here’s a super refreshing and super healthy breakfast. It just wants the best for you, that’s all.
16. Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oatmeal
Put chocolate in your breakfast and be happy about it. You deserve this.
17. Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats
You get to have so much fun mashing together the blueberries and bananas that go into this oatmeal.
18. Banana Nut, Very Berry, Tropical, Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oatmeal
An oatmeal for eVeRy MoOd.