1. John Currin’s 1991 “Bea Arthur Naked” was a pretty controversial work in its day.
Twenty-two years later though, the work is worth a pretty huge sum of money. It’s currently up for auction, expected to sell for somewhere between $1.8-2.5 million. At the time it was made, it was called an “acrid fantasy portrait of menopausal women,” by The New York Times.
The New York Times has also called Currin “arguably the most successful and provocative painter of his generation,” so you could say he’s a pretty controversial artist.
(If you’d like to see the work without OMG badges, you can click through.)
3. The very sensual work of art will be auctioned off at Christie’s Post-war and Contemporary Evening sale in New York City on Wednesday.
5. UPDATE: The painting sold for $1.9 million dollars. What a deal!
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing aircraft MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72-years-old.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".