1. John Currin’s 1991 “Bea Arthur Naked” was a pretty controversial work in its day.
Twenty-two years later though, the work is worth a pretty huge sum of money. It’s currently up for auction, expected to sell for somewhere between $1.8-2.5 million. At the time it was made, it was called an “acrid fantasy portrait of menopausal women,” by The New York Times.
The New York Times has also called Currin “arguably the most successful and provocative painter of his generation,” so you could say he’s a pretty controversial artist.
(If you’d like to see the work without OMG badges, you can click through.)
3. The very sensual work of art will be auctioned off at Christie’s Post-war and Contemporary Evening sale in New York City on Wednesday.
5. UPDATE: The painting sold for $1.9 million dollars. What a deal!
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.
- The U.S. has defeated Germany 2-0 in the Women's World Cup semis. Team USA will play Japan or England in the final ⚽️