1. Earlier this week a 5-year-old boy was playing with his Crickett-brand “My First Rifle” when it went off by accident, killing his 2-year-old sister.
2. Many online, reacting to the story, were horrified, not only because of the accident, but also the way Crickett Rifles marketed their rifles to children.
“The rifle used in the accident is a Crickett designed for children.” Imma just let that sit there. #guncontrol— Clementine Ford
4. As of Friday morning, Cricket’s website has disappeared, replaced with a Linux Test Page.
5. Its Twitter account has vanished, as well.
6. According to Topsy.com, a Twitter archiving service, Crickett’s last tweet was sent eight days ago.
7. Twitter users quickly dug up anything and everything they could about Crickett Rifles in the days following the accident.
Crickett gun the five year old used to shoot the two year old is “ideally sized for children four to ten years old”. http://t.co/KNxTZZoKVx— Jim White
The â€œadorable” â€œMy First Rifle Collection” by Keystone Sporting Goods in KY-which resulted in the death of a 2 yr old http://t.co/InWvxIg5dl— Steve
9. The section of Crickett’s website that recieved the most attention was its “Kids’ Corner,” which featured pictures of children using their rifles.
From the gun manufacturer Crickett’s website. Kids’ corner. (via @agrajagthetesty) http://t.co/MykstnNzbE— Louise Brealey
11. You can still buy Crickett rifles at Walmart, although it’s in-store purchase only.
12. Here’s a TV spot for Crickett Rifles, advertising that they make rifles “for girls and even mom,” ending with the tagline: “Target shooting is fun!”
BuzzFeed has reached out to Keystone Sporting Arms, the parent company of Crickett Rifles, and is awaiting comment.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›