1. Cheerios will air a new commercial during the Super Bowl featuring the interracial family from an ad they released in May.
2. When Cheerios’ first ad featuring the family was uploaded on YouTube in May it quickly went viral, generating incredibly racist comments that eventually forced Cheerios’ social media team to close the comments down.
3. Camille Gibson, the vice president of marketing for Cheerios, released a statement amid that controversy saying that all the brand was attempting to do was portray a typical American family.
4. The ugly reaction to the ad online led to an outpouring of support from consumers that actually improved Cheerios’ sales performance.
5. It seems as though online viewers have gotten used to the idea of an interracial family selling them cereal, because the YouTube comments this time around are much more supportive.
6. With users on Twitter, as well, praising the very adorable Super Bowl spot.
11. And here’s the original “Gracie” ad from May:
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at email@example.com.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Two University of Cincinnati officers who were on the scene shortly after Samuel Dubose was fatally shot have been placed on leave. The officer accused of killing Dubose has been released from jail after posting bond.
- An ultra-Orthodox man stabbed six people at Jerusalem's gay pride parade on Thursday.
- The new Apple TV will debut in September, along with its own App Store, sources tell BuzzFeed News.