1. “Good evening, everyone, there’s breaking news tonight: one of the government’s leading disease fighters becoming the top health official to say this year’s flu outbreak has now reached epidemic levels.”
1/10/13, around 8 p.m. ET
This breaking news was reported by CNN sometime before 7:18 a.m. CT, when ABC 2 in Wisconsin posted it to their website.
2. “We have a lot going on. Two breaking stories. Americans held hostage by armed Islamic extremists in a remote part of Algeria. The hostages were taken when 20 extremists attacked this petroleum operation in Algeria.”
1/16/13, around 8 p.m. ET
3. “We begin tonight with breaking news about the hunt for a killer. The breaking news, police have located his [Dorner’s] burned-out truck…”
2/7/13, around 8 p.m. ET
This breaking news was reported by the San Bernardino Sun at 1:35 p.m. PT.
4. “We begin with breaking news and a warning for tens of millions of Americans. Three simple words that could save your life: Do not travel. That warning, by the way, do not travel, comes straight from the National Weather Service.”
2/25/13, around 8 p.m. ET
This breaking news from the National Weather Service was reported by Fox 2 in St. Louis (via CNN) at 8:35 a.m. CT.
5. “Good evening. It is 10 o’clock here on the East Coast. We have breaking news involving a leading U.S. senator.”
3/4/13, around 10 p.m. ET
No, Anderson Cooper, you are not breaking news about Robert Menendez at 10 p.m. on the 4th of March.
6. “We begin with breaking news. The head of one of America’s largest airlines speaking out about the TSA’s decision to allow certain small knives back on commercial flights.”
3/8/13, around 8 p.m. ET
This breaking news was reported by the Tampa Bay Times via the AP at 3:30 a.m. ET on 3/8/13.
7. “Tonight, breaking news. It could be a game changer, only this is no game: a new intelligence report suggesting that North Korea could already be able to put a nuclear warhead on a ballistic missile.”
4/11/13, around 8 p.m. ET
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›