Nutritional yeast is inactive yeast, often used for its savory, cheesy flavor. It’s vegan and gluten-free and available in most health food stores. It’s also got tons of nutrients, including B-vitamins, zinc and protein.*
Sometimes it’s powdery, sometimes it’s flaky, but it is always GLORIOUS.
*Check the label on the brand you’re buying for specifics on nutritional info — not all nutritional yeasts are the same.
1. Cauliflower Mac ‘n’ Cheese
2. Green Lasagna Rolls
Vegan lasagna that doesn’t hold back. Recipe here.
3. Vegan Cheddar Jalapeño Biscuits
Melts in your mouth. Recipe here.
4. Tofu Popcorn Chick’n
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s surprisingly simple, making it an easy, unprocessed alternative to fake chicken products. Recipe here.
5. Cheesy Kale Chips
The healthy way to appease your Doritos craving. Recipe here.
6. Vegan Pasta Alfredo
Stop denying yourself the Alfredo sauce you know your heart has been longing for. Recipe here.
7. Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips
I mean, why not? Recipe here.
8. Delicious Butter-Free Popcorn
Step up your popcorn game. Recipe here.
10. Gluten-Free “Wheat Thins”
Warning: This one is not vegan. Still delicious, though. Recipe here.
11. Vegan Breakfast Nachos
Can also be “Lunch Nachos” or “Dinner Nachos.” Recipe here.
12. Zucchini Pizza Boats
Sure you can make these without the nutritional yeast, but why would you deny yourself that delicious cheesy flavor? Recipe here.
13. Creamy Garlic Zucchini Noodles
One of the most satisfying things you’ll ever make in under ten minutes. Recipe here.
14. Cheesy Cauliflower “Popcorn”
Roasted cauliflower is good. Roasted cauliflower sprinkled with nutritional yeast is even better. Recipe here.
15. Luxurious 7-Vegetable and “Cheese” Soup
Broccoli, carrots, celery, squash, onion and potato: This soup is no lightweight. Recipe here.
17. Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic & Chives
Like mashed potatoes but less carb-y! Recipe here.
18. Grain-Free Broccoli Breadsticks
Not vegan, but gluten-free, so at least somebody is happy. Recipe here.
19. Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
Yes, you can put nutritional yeast in a dessert: It gives the peanut butter an awesome salty flavor and creamy texture. Recipe here.
20. Cauliflower Risotto
Between the cauliflower, the quinoa, and obvs the nutritional yeast, this risotto is basically a plate of healthfulness. Recipe here.
22. Vegan Tofu Avocado Benedict
Who needs eggs when you have tomatoes, avocados, and nutritional yeast? Recipe here.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›