1. French Toast With Berries
Looks and tastes decadent, but the whole grain bread, cottage cheese, and fresh berries mean you’re doing more than just your taste buds a favor. (Pro tip: Using freshly baked bread instead of the processed, packaged kind makes all the difference.) Recipe here.
2. Quinoa Hash Browns
Adding quinoa to your hash browns means you get a whole extra dose of protein. Not a bad way to start the day. Recipe here.
3. Better Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwich
Tastes better AND feels better than what they’ll sell you at the deli. (Once again, fresh bread changes everything.) Recipe here.
4. Kale and Ricotta Breakfast Pizza
Thin crust > thick crust
Hard-boiled eggs > fried-in-butter eggs
Ricotta > mozzarella, cheddar, or parmesan
Turkey bacon > Bacon bacon
Kale > no kale
Pizza > everything
5. Skinny Banana Blueberry Muffins
Nonfat yogurt, honey, and whole wheat flour make these blueberry muffins just as tasty as the regular version, but without all the overprocessed, high-fat ingredients. Recipe here.
6. Huevos Rancheros
Don’t muck up your huevos with unnecessary chorizo, sour cream, or refried beans. Recipe here.
7. Vegan Braided Blueberry Danish
Making this one takes a serious level of commitment, BUT in the end, you’ll have a beautiful, homemade, vegan blueberry danish. Skip the glaze if you want to cut the sugar. Recipe here.
8. Open-Faced Egg and Tomato Sandwich
Satisfy your breakfast sandwich craving with a whole wheat English muffin, fresh tomatoes, eggs, and just the right amount of cheddar cheese. Recipe here.
9. Paleo Strawberry Doughnuts
A Paleo breakfast everyone can get behind. Recipe here.
10. Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Try subbing out regular eggs for a tofu scramble to get the flavor without the cholesterol. Add nutrition and bulk with sautéed spinach and peppers. Recipe here.
11. Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
You will not miss the processed white flour, which, unlike the whole wheat version, has lost most of its nutritional value. And, you know, bananas are delicious. Recipe here.
12. Paleo Sausage Egg McMuffin
Even if you’re not Paleo, without the nutrient poor, white flour English muffin and highly processed cheese, this recipe is a way healthier alternative to anything you can get at a drive thru window. Recipe here.
13. Healthy Banana Oat Waffles
Light and fluffy with no reason to feel guilty later. Recipe here.
14. Vegan Chocolate Chip Almond Bar
No processed sugar and lots of natural protein makes these bars about a gajillion times better than anything that comes in a wrapper. Recipe here.
15. Cauliflower Hash
Replace your potatoes with cauliflower for a low-carb, nutrition-packed breakfast. Recipe here.
16. Kale and Tomato Eggs Benedict
How to make anything healthier: Add kale. (The whole wheat English muffins and lighter Hollandaise help too.) Recipe here.
17. Skinny Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
Turkey sausage, a potato crust, cheddar cheese… I’m sorry, what were we talking about? Recipe here.
18. Skinny Biscuits and Gravy
Whole wheat flour for the biscuits + turkey sausage for the gravy = A satisfying breakfast for everyone. Recipe here.
19. Balsamic Onion and Potato Frittata
You don’t need a recipe to make a frittata, but this one proves you also don’t need cheese. (BTW, dsp stands for “dessertspoon” and 1 is the equivalent of 2 teaspoons.) If you want something cheesy but still healthy, try a goat cheese frittata — goat cheese is delicious and creamy but not as high in calories or fat as hard cheeses.
20. One-Minute, Single Serving Coffee Cake
This recipe uses oil or applesauce instead of butter and just a little bit of sugar, but what really makes it healthy is that you make only one serving at a time. Built-in binge barrier. Recipe here.
- President Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders for the airstrike that killed 22 people at a clinic in Afghanistan. ›
- The U.S. Coast Guard said it will suspend the search for the crew of El Faro, the cargo ship that went missing in the Caribbean during Hurricane Joaquin last week. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›