2. Spaghetti with Herbed Ricotta and Garlic
Recipe by Rebekah Peppler
1 lb spaghetti
5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup parsley leaves
1 small bunch chives (about 1/2 cup, chopped)
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Cook spaghetti according to package directions, until al dente. Drain through a colander, reserving about a cup of the pasta water.
Thinly slice garlic cloves, and set aside. Slice basil leaves into thin ribbons, and coarsely chop chives and parsley. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chopped herbs and the ricotta, and mix to combine.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat, and add sliced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, until garlic is soft, then add the cooked pasta, 1 1/2 cups of the herbed ricotta, and ¼ cup of the reserved pasta water. Toss together and season with salt and pepper. Continue to heat, tossing occasionally, until the cheese has melted and a sauce has formed.
Transfer to a serving bowl and dollop with the remaining 1/2 cup ricotta.
4. For this recipe, you’ll need a 12-inch skillet and a large pot to cook the pasta.
You can get a great skillet here (pictured left, worth the price, will last forever) or a more affordable decent one here. Any stock pot that’s at least 8 quarts will work, but a 12-quart pot (pictured right) is your best bet. Get a simple one here.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›