1. "Volunteering at an Abortion Clinic Made Me Lose Patience With the Abortion Debate" — BuzzFeed Life
2. "Dear 14-Year-Old Boy, You Are Not Entitled to Sex" — Medium
4. "I Forgot to Find My Husband at a Black University" — BuzzFeed Ideas
5. "The Zola Show and Why It Was Hard to Look Away" — The Cut
6. "The Mother of All Questions" — Harper's Magazine
7. "Is It Possible to Be Happy on Instagram?" — The New Republic
Want to read more?
For next year: Scaachi Koul offers some tips on what to do when a racist comes to your Halloween party, and Meredith Talusan explains why trans women have complicated relationships with Halloween. Alex Mar describes her obsession with other-dimensional witch travel. Laurie Penny explains how to be a genderqueer feminist. John Paul Brammer recounts what happened when his childhood bully hit him up on a gay dating app. Kelley L. Carter and Sheridan Watson interviewed numerous celebrities on why they chose historically black colleges. Ariane Lange rewatched Charlie's Angels with her childhood best friends for an essay on girl trios and friendship. Daniel Dalton interviewed philosopher Mark Rowlands, pondering 6 important questions. He also recalls 9 lessons life taught him about crying while male. Meredith Talusan writes about how she stopped liking men from gay porn fantasies after her transition and what actually happens when trans people use public restrooms. Kirsten King sends a letter to her teenage self. Meghan Daum reveals what it's really like to be an editorial assistant in publishing. Lauren Paul remembers a childhood of struggling with her hair and identity. And finally, Bim Adewunmi praises the effortless diversity of Aziz Ansari's Master of None.
Susan Cheng is an entertainment reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Los Angeles.
Contact Susan Cheng at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.