1. Twitter highlighted a conversation between Mario Batali and Gavin Rossdale as an example of how "conversational" the platform is
2. And one time, NBA player Kevin Durant used Twitter to play flag football with college students at Oklahoma State University
4. This is corporate speak for hashtag: "Some trends are preceded by '#,' which we refer to as a hashtag...
The use of hashtags on our platform was initiated by our users and hashtags are included in Tweets to mark them as relating to a topic, enabling trends to be more easily identified and conversations on a given topic to be more easily found."
5. Favorites, @Replies and Retweets, the OFFICIAL definitions:
"Users can click on the "Favorite" button on a Tweet to demonstrate their support of or interest in the Tweet. Users can also reply to a Tweet created by another user by clicking the "Reply" button on the Tweet, which we refer to as an @reply, building on the original content and sharing their thoughts and opinions with the sender. A Tweet can also be resent, or retweeted, by a user that has received it by clicking the "Retweet" button on the Tweet, which enables users to redistribute the original Tweet to their followers."
6. Since Twitter's inception, more than 300 billion tweets have been tweeted into the ether
Many tweets per earthling.
7. 44% of Americans hear about tweets through media channels other than Twitter almost every day, according to a study this year from Arbitron Inc. and Edison Research
Wait, so maybe that J.C. Penney discount yesterday for saying hashtag out loud wasn't so crazy.
8. President Obama's "four more years" tweet made it from the Today show to hmm, an unidentified German newspaper
9. Twitter wants to become "an indispensable daily companion to live human experiences" and says it views itself as "the social soundtrack to life in the moment"
10. You should know your indispensable companion's birthday. It's March 21, 2006...and that first tweet was Hemingway-esque in its brevity.
11. Twitter said a campaign from Wheat Thins asking users to tweet and post Vines about people stealing their crackers drove 242,000 related tweets
12. Oreo got to take a victory lap for its "Oreo moment"...and joined the Royal Baby announcement in Twitter's section about how it's a breaking news destination
13. Twitter says it's key for emergency responses, citing Hurricane Sandy
14. Argentina, France, Japan, Russia, Saudi Arabia and South Africa are among international markets that will probably see faster user growth than the U.S. going forward
15. The Super Bowl was mentioned 8 times in the filing
Apparently 45% of Super Bowl ads in the latest game used hashtags and overall, the event produced more than 24 million tweets
Sapna Maheshwari is a business reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York. Maheshwari reports on retail and e-commerce.
Contact Sapna Maheshwari at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.