A fire burned high in the John Hancock Center in Chicago on Saturday afternoon, leaving five people injured, authorities said.
Pictures from people in the area showed smoke billowing from the skyscraper, which fire officials said was in the 50th floor on the east side of the building,
The fire started inside the bedroom of a residential unit of the building, Chicago Fire Department Fire Commissioner John McNicholas said during a news conference.
The fire was first reported about 2:30 p.m. local time when a resident saw flames in the bedroom of the unit, he said.
She was able to get out of the apartment unharmed, McNicholas said, and firefighters kept the flames from spreading to other units.
"The initial team that got up there were confronted with an awful lot of heat," he said. "They did a heck of a job."
The apartment, however, was gutted, officials said.
By 3:40 p.m., officials said the fire was essentially out, but were doing a search of several floors to make sure the flames had not extended to other areas of the building.
The cause of the fire in the 100-story skyscraper was not immediately known, McNicholas said.
Five people were injured, but all injuries appeared to have been minor, he said. They included smoke inhalation and a sprained ankle.
Although some residents left the high-rise as a precaution, McNicholas said the building was not evacuated, and people were told to stay in their homes while firefighters tackled the blaze.
The fire was extinguished by 4 p.m.
Fire officials said one of the injured was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital to be treated.
Salvador Hernandez is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Los Angeles.
Contact Salvador Hernandez at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.