1. Updated — Sept. 24, 12:47 p.m. ET
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta (center).
3. Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says the four-day Westgate Mall siege in Nairobi has reached a conclusion.
4. Addressing the public Tuesday, Kenyatta said that five alleged terrorists are dead and 11 are in custody. He added that the death toll is at 61, plus six security officers, and declared three days of national mourning.
“Fellow Kenyans, we have been badly hurt and feel great pain and loss, but we have been brave, united and strong. Kenya has stared down great evil and triumphed.”
5. Kenyatta added that during the “tail end” of the operation three floors of the mall collapsed, and that there are still a few bodies buried in the rubble.
Kenyan soldier describes scene inside #Westgate: ‘Every pane of glass is broken, debris everywhere. We found people alive & we found dead’
7. According to the BBC, “Scotland Yard in London has confirmed that a team of officers has travelled to Nairobi to help with “post incident procedures” including gathering scientific evidence as well as supporting the work of British coroners.”
Residents watched the military operation at the Westgate shopping center in Nairobi.
9. Updated — Sept. 24, 8:25 a.m. ET
10. While Kenyan officials were reporting that the siege was nearly over, a Twitter account connected with al-Shabab said its militants were still holding out in the Westgate Mall.
HSM Press Office
There are countless number of dead bodies still scattered inside the mall, and the Mujahideen are still holding their ground #Westgate
HSM Press Office
The hostages who were being held by the Mujahideen inside #Westgate are still alive, looking quite disconcerted but, nevertheless, alive
12. Kenyan Vice President William Ruto said Monday that security forces are nearing the end of flushing out attackers from the beleaguered shopping mall in Nairobi.
We are in charge of the #WestGate situation and more updates will be coming your way. #WeAreOne
14. Police Inspector General David Kimaiyo tweeted encouraging updates to Kenyans that the end was close.
Taken control of all the floors. We’re not here to feed the attackers with pastries but to finish and punish them. IG
16. Attackers allegedly belonging to Somalian terrorist sect al-Shabab were also said to have been killed in the fighting today, with officials saying more than 10 suspects were arrested.
So far more than 10 suspects have been arrested for questioning in relation to the #WestgateAttack
Kenyan security personnel patrol near the Westgate Mall in Nairobi on Tuesday.
19. While there were reports that all hostages were freed, some journalists reported otherwise.
“Our forces are combing the mall floor by floor looking for anyone left behind. We believe all hostages have been released” cc @MEsipisu
Security official tells me: Clear hostages are still in #Westgate. If there weren’t this thing would be completely over already.
#Kenyan govt. spokesman says some of the gunmen still holed up in the mall. “Forces closing in on them”