It’s summer! And summer means fruit.
SO MUCH FRUIT. Sometimes too much to actually eat it all before it starts to get icky — which is why fruit salads are such a great idea. You can redeem on-the-edge produce with just a little TLC so that it becomes a whole new magical concoction.
But the term “fruit salad” has long been abused by those who believe that tasteless honeydew + unripe cantaloupe + rock hard grapes = something worth eating. It’s high time to reclaim this territory with interesting, beautiful, luscious, non-boring combinations of fruits.
Here are some ideas to help you keep things fresh:
2. Or use this great, basic formula: citrus juice + fresh herb + honey or syrup.
You get something acidic, something interesting, and something sweet. The acid in lemon, lime, or orange juice brightens up the flavors and keeps fruit from turning brown. Soft fresh herbs like mint, tarragon, and basil are the best. Get the recipe for this salad here.
6. Let some vegetables join the party.
Forget the botanical technicalities of what may or may not be a “fruit;” the point is, don’t be afraid to mix in things that aren’t sweet. Cucumber makes a super addition to honeydew and watermelon in this summer salad.
Just please never, never commit any of these inexcusable offenses against fruit salad:
Don’t scoop out an entire watermelon just to fill it with lame fruit that’s not even mixed together or dressed.
- Donald Trump keeps questioning polls and insisting he's winning — even as most show him behind nationally.
- Obamacare premiums will jump an average 25% in 2017, but officials say subsidies will keep costs low for most people.
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏