6. nuts + dates + dried fruit = energy bars
Don’t mess with the dates (they keep everything cohesive and sweet) but use whatever kind of combos you like for the fruit and nuts: Try cherry-almond, apricot-almond, cranberry-pecan, or apple-cinnamon-walnut. Get the recipe.
7. tomatoes + onion + butter = perfect tomato sauce
It’s fair to call this sauce from Italian cooking queen Marcella Hazan (RIP!) one of the classic recipes of the century; you get something amazingly rich and delicious from just three ingredients and practically zero work. Canned or fresh tomatoes both work, so you can make it year-round. Get the recipe.
18. chocolate wafers + cream + sugar = icebox cake
If you’ve never experience cookies and cream melded into one magical substance, you’re in for a great surprise. Nabsico “Famous” chocolate wafers are the classic, but you can try it with any kind of thin cookie. Here’s how to make it.
23. lemons + cream + sugar = lemon pudding
This is genius because the acid in the lemon juice sets the pudding all by itself — no gelatin necessary. Get the recipe.
27. coconut milk + sugar + flavoring = vegan ice cream
You’ll need an ice cream maker if you want it to be really creamy and fluffy, but it’s worth it. Try using anything you like to flavor the ice cream — the coconut base is quiet enough to work with vanilla, chocolate, coffee, fruit, you name it. Get the recipe.
28. sweet potato + white beans + tahini = veggie burgers
OK, this is sort of cheating on the number of ingredients since you might need to throw a handful of flour or breadcrumbs in there too, depending on how squishy the mix is. But they’re still dead simple. Get the recipe.
- The Obama administration, which has been notoriously secretive about its drone policy, said drone strikes have killed up to 116 civilians.
- Nearly 70,000 people convicted of felonies but now on probation or parole are suing Louisiana for the right to vote.
- Attorney General Loretta Lynch said she'll accept FBI recommendations in the investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email servers.