Syrian government and opposition leaders are set to hold peace talks in Geneva on January 22, the United Nations announced today. The long awaited international peace conference, dubbed Geneva 2, will be the first meeting between Syrian government and opposition forces since the conflict’s outbreak 32 months ago. Diplomats are expected to discuss the formation of a transitional governing body, including political and military powers.
In statements, UN leader Ban Ki-moon called the Geneva 2 conference “a mission of hope.” Foreign Secretary John Kerry also praised the peace talks as the “best opportunity” to form a transitional government. American and Russian diplomats are also meeting today with Lakhdar Brahimi, U.N. and Arab League envoy to Syria, to discuss the negotiations.
Many political commentators remained preoccupied with Saturday’s news of the Iran nuclear deal, but on Twitter the particular timing of the Geneva 2 announcement raised both skepticism and hope.
2. “The beginning of this week has been good: yesterday the nuclear deal with Iran, and today the date for Geneva 2 is scheduled. Has the world begun to realize the importance of peace?”
Ø§Ù„Ø³ÙŠØ¯ Ù…ØÙ…Ø¯ Ø§Ù„Ø´ÙˆÙƒÙŠ
Ø¨Ø¯Ø§ÙŠØ© Ù‡Ø°Ø§ Ø§Ù„Ø£Ø³Ø¨ÙˆØ¹ Ø¨Ø¯Ø§ÙŠØ© Ø¬ÙŠØ¯Ø© ÙØ£Ù…Ø³ ØªÙ… Ø§Ù„Ø§ØªÙØ§Ù‚ Ø§Ù„Ù†ÙˆÙˆÙŠ Ù…Ø¹ Ø§ÙŠØ±Ø§Ù† ÙˆØ§Ù„ÙŠÙˆÙ… ØØ¯Ø¯ Ù…ÙˆØ¹Ø¯ Ø¬Ù†ÙŠÙÙ¢ØŒ Ù‡Ù„ Ø¨Ø¯Ø£ Ø§Ù„Ø¹Ø§Ù„Ù… ÙŠØ¯Ø±Ùƒ Ø£Ù‡Ù…ÙŠØ© Ø§Ù„Ø³Ù„Ø§Ù…ØŸ
3. “America announced yesterday that Geneva 2 is set for January 22, and this is evidence that their agreement yesterday with Iran is not just nuclear, but for all the Middle East.”
Ø§Ø¹Ù„Ø§Ù† Ø§Ù…Ø±ÙŠÙƒØ§ Ø§Ù„ÙŠÙˆÙ… Ø§Ù† Ù…ÙˆØ¹Ø¯ Ø¬Ù†ÙŠÙ Ù¢ Ø³ÙŠÙƒÙˆÙ† ÙÙŠ Ù¢Ù¢ÙŠÙ†Ø§ÙŠØ± ÙˆÙ‡Ø°Ø§ Ø¯Ù„ÙŠÙ„ Ø§Ù† Ø§ØªÙØ§Ù‚Ù‡Ù… Ø§Ù…Ø³ Ù…Ø¹ Ø§ÙŠØ±Ø§Ù† Ù„ÙŠØ³ ÙÙ‚Ø· Ù†ÙˆÙˆÙŠØ§ Ø¨Ù„ ÙÙŠ ÙƒØ§ÙÙ‡ Ù…ØØ·Ø§Øª Ø§Ù„Ø´Ø±Ù‚ Ø§Ù„Ø§ÙˆØ³Ø·
4. “The date for Geneva 2 was not set until after the Iran agreement, and therefore the nuclear agreement is transiently for Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon, and really all for Israel’s sake.”
Ù„Ù… ÙŠØªÙ… ØªØ«Ø¨ÙŠØª Ù…ÙˆØ¹Ø¯ Ø¬Ù†ÙŠÙ Ù¢ Ø¥Ù„Ø§ Ø¨Ø¹Ø¯ Ø§ØªÙØ§Ù‚ Ù…Ø¹ Ø¥ÙŠØ±Ø§Ù†ØŒ ÙˆÙ„Ø°Ù„Ùƒ ÙØ¥Ù† Ø§Ù„Ø§ØªÙØ§Ù‚ Ø§Ù„Ù†ÙˆÙˆÙŠ Ù‡Ùˆ Ø¹Ø§Ø¨Ø± Ù„Ù„Ø¹Ø±Ø§Ù‚ ÙˆØ³ÙˆØ±ÙŠØ§ ÙˆÙ„Ø¨Ù†Ø§Ù†ØŒ ÙˆÙƒÙ„Ù‡ Ù„Ù…ØµÙ„ØØ© Ø¥Ø³Ø±Ø§Ø¦ÙŠÙ„ .
5. Others took a more overtly satirical stance to express their disillusionment with the prospects of diplomacy to turn the tides of the conflict.
Assad continues to prepare for #Geneva2 â€œpeaceâ€ talks. This was Karm Al-Beik in #Aleppo today! #Syria
Diplomats have continually postponed peace talks because of disagreements over which parties and countries would take part and who they would represent. Syria watchers were quick to note that Monday’s announcement did not clarify whether Iran, which has been a critical shaper of the Syrian conflict, would be invited to participate.
In a press conference following the announcement, Brahimi said that a decision had not yet been made whether Iran, and others like Saudi Arabia, would attend. Iran has yet to agree to the Geneva Communiqué of 30 June 2012, which was developed during preliminary negotiations last year, and will serve as the basis of the Geneva 2 conference. Bashar al Assad’s presence has been another sticking point; some Syrian factions have called for Assad to agree to resign as a prerequisite for their attendance. The Syrian opposition has also been weekend by infighting between its leadership.
Count me skeptical Brahimi can stick to Jan. 22 date for Geneva 2: No list of participants, Syrian coalition demands not met, Saudi furious.
While ridiculous not 2have #Iran attend #Syria talks, they must first officially accept Gevena 1 framework. #Geneva2
We can keep debating about the importance of #Iran at Geneva II, but without #Syrian women at the table all negotiations are shortsighted.
12. Meanwhile, the fighting in Syria has continued. An estimated 120,000 Syrians have died, 9 million have been displaced, and over 2 million have fled to live in refugee camps, like the Za’atari camp in neighboring Jordan.
13. More than 11,00 children have died in the conflict so far, including 128 by alleged chemical weapons attacks, according to a new report by the Oxford Research group.
Blogs of War
Top of the Morning: 11,000 Children Killed in Syrian Civil War http://t.co/H8o9pHK7yn
14. Activists say it is numbers like these, rather than political power disputes, which should be serving as the impetus for peace negotiations.
1 million child refugees.
4 reasons we need
Syria Peace Talks now
- President Trump addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC, where he lashed out at the media and defended his agenda.
- The White House strongly denies reports that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus urged the FBI to undermine stories linking Trump to Russia.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳