The Syrian opposition remains divided over whether to attend a second round of international peace talks, tentatively scheduled for Geneva in January, to put an end to the country’s bloody civil war. Dubbed Geneva 2, the peace talks have been repeatedly delayed by political disagreements between Russia and the U.S., as well as the Syrian opposition’s discord.
The Los Angeles Times reports on “Geneva 2,” a satirical Facebook page reportedly started by two Syrian activists that invites Syrians to vent their cynicism over the Geneva conference’s prospects. The memes uploaded to the page capture some of the doubts Syrians have that an international peace deal can solve the conflict, now in its third year, anytime soon.
2. “Geneva 2”
Both sides are bringing decades of political baggage to the negotiating table.
This meme could be mocking both the continuing bloodshed in Syria, or the weakened state of the Syrian opposition.
4. Kerry: “The goal of Geneva 2 is to implement Geneva 1. The goal of Geneva 3 is to implement Geneva 2. The goal of Geneva 4 is to implement Geneva 3.”
5. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon: “If we don’t set the issue in Geneva 2, then we definitely will in Geneva 3 because the third time’s the charm.”
6. “To Geneva , Brothers. The Crusaders!!”
Islamist fundamentalists constitute one faction of those fighting the Syrian regime. The main Islamist coalitions in Syria have refused to participate in the Geneva conferences.
8. “I’m optimistic that with God’s will Geneva 2 will open the door to Geneva 3.”
Yao Ming’s smiling face is a popular basis for Middle Eastern memes.
10. ‘“I want to see a peaceful solution to the Syrian political crisis.”
11. Mel Gibson: “You going to Geneva 2, Haj?!”
In Arabic Haj is a term of endearment for old men, a title given to Muslims who have made the Haj, a religious rite, to Mecca, and also sometimes interchangeable with bus or taxi driver.