2. But that didn’t stop Disney CEO Bob Iger and his wife, Willow Bay, from showing up to the industry’s biggest night.
3. Hang on a second. Let’s back things up.
4. Yes, an elderly Jedi master that is. Willow Bay, former model and TV reporter and current director of the USC Annenberg School of Journalism, rocked Yoda at the Oscars.
5. While the entire Star Wars series has gotten plenty of Oscar love — 22 nominations, seven wins, and three special technical awards — big-budget franchise films tend to win more in box offices than in Best Picture or Best Directing Oscars.
6. Those kind of “tentpole” smash hits, which have become Disney’s bread and butter, were even mocked in the opening act of the Oscars ceremony, with Jack Black scorning studios “pitching tents for tentpoles and chasing Chinese bucks.”
Jack Black, on stage at the Oscars on Sunday night.