Google just launched a new version of Hangouts that integrates it right into the Gchat spot on your inbox. For the most part, the Gchat experience is mostly the same, but there’s one new feature that functions very differently. Your “buddy list” isn’t just your contacts, it’s a rolodex of all of Google+.
Type in a name into the chat search box, and it’ll first give you results for people you know, and then starts giving you relevant results for strangers. When I tried searching first names using a dummy Gmail account with no friends or contacts, I still got tons of results for complete strangers, including famous people. It prioritizes verified or popular users when searching by first name only.
Basically, Hangouts is a White Pages that gives you access to Gchat anyone with a Gmail address. You don’t need to know their email address, just a name. The ability to search out and then ask to chat strangers already existed in the Google+ world, but not right inside your Gchat window that lives inside your inbox.
Let’s have some fun.
3. When I search the new Hangouts chat list for “Katie” with my personal email, I get results from my existing Contacts:
Just a bunch of people I know in real life. BOOOOOOORRRRRRRING.
5. Let’s call Katie Couric!
OMG Katie I just want to tell you how you’re an inspiration to all the other Katies out there who never believed they could stay a Katie as an adult and not have to be Kate or (ugh) Kathy. If it wasn’t for you, all we’d have is Katie Holmes, and there was that whole nasty “Katie Cruise” debacle.
7. I don’t know any Larrys (because I’m not a million years old, duh), so when I search “Larry” on my personal account, look who pops right up:
10. When I type in a contact’s name to chat with, I get all sort of other people in the results:
I’m using an account (my work email) where I don’t even have Google+ set up. It’s just suggesting I video chat all sort of random other women with the same first name as a coworker.
11. And while you can’t make anyone actually chat with you, you can at least annoy them by constantly sending Hangout requests
The default settings for Hangouts are a little buried. They’re not right there in the actual chat/Hangout box where you’d expect them. They’re under Account > Google+ > Who Can Hangout With You > click on the “Customize” pop-up.
So even though no celebrity was willing to video chat with me, they sure know I’m trying. Namaste.
- The Obama administration, which has been notoriously secretive about its drone policy, said drone strikes have killed up to 116 civilians.
- #AusVotes 2016: Follow our live election day blog as polls open, votes are cast and sausages are sizzled 🇦🇺
- Attorney General Loretta Lynch said she'll accept FBI recommendations in the investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email servers.